Gutting Doors question

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by LeKid, Dec 9, 2011.

1. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    When I get the under carriage done on my car, I'm definately doing this to mine!!!

Great thread guys and keep up the good work!!!

2. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    ok I put wood behind the middle piece so I didn't drill thru the door, I thought the metal was a little thick and cramped to cut with the door ON
    [​IMG]
    cut the middle section so you can drill the holes, else the drill won't fit
    [​IMG]
    the dreaded hidden spot weld, you will have to remove the door spring
    [​IMG]
    the holes drilled on the "outside"
    [​IMG]

3. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    I wish I took picks of mine when I did them on my Firebird. I did it while I was reskinning the doors. I took out the crash beam,and replaced the door skin with a jap steel on. This also eleiminated the spray on sound deadener on the stock skin. The doors are like tin cans now,even with the glass and regualtors in them. If you are gonna swiss cheese the doors,concentrate on the foward end of the doors,thats the heaviest end,and a lot of the metal is doubled up on that end,so its like a BOGO deal. If you are concerned about loosing strength after cutting the holes,you can weld the sandwiched steel back together around the edges of the holes and get most of the strength back.

4. strstk71

strstk71 Veteran Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Surrey BC Canada
    Rich have you tried Lizard skin sound deadener its light weight spray that only adds a few ounces to the over all weight of the part. we have used it on the road car that i crew on and it works well .. you can also get it for heat sheilding as they have a spry on insulator as well.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  5. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    [​IMG]
    Only had few minutes before dinner to make some holes. Took out another 1.5lbs. All I'm going to do for this year,(to the body), sure notice the difference in opening/closing the doors!

6. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    Just a note. Any one attempting this, the first thing you want to do is remove the door lock/cylinder. The bar will hit it and catch on it as you pull it out.

7. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    Would this be ok to do on my street/ strip car? I will be installing a 8pt in my car.

8. OldCamaroNut

OldCamaroNut Veteran Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Rancocas Woods, NJ
    I'd leave the doors alone for a car you're going to be driving on the street. You need all the support the doors can handle in a crash.

9. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Mantweeka, California
    Hey put some holes on the outside too :) It will take some more weight off :)

10. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Oct 10, 2009
    BUFFALO, NY
    I'm trying to lighten up this thing. I have no clue what it'll weigh when I get it back together.

I was even thinking of adding a bar along the inside rocker, IF I remove the door bars.