Gutting Doors question

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by LeKid, Dec 9, 2011.

1. LeKid

LeKid Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Winnipeg, MB
    So I decided to gut my doors. The car weight 3550lbs with me last year and we need to be at 3400-3450lbs for next year. I need to remove 100-150lbs. I already ordered Smith Racecraft control arms which will save me 35lbs.

I removed the crash bar from the door which was around 25lbs each. I want to know how much more weight can be removed from the interior bracing?

Also, does anyone knows how much the regulators weight? I know that the windows are around 15lbs each, but wondering if it would be worth it to remove the regulators.

Anything else I should be removing from the doors?

Thanks

2. mrnitrous

mrnitrous Veteran Member

May 12, 2008
    Anaheim Ca
    I am interested in this as well, i will be getting into my doors real soon, i havn't remove the crash bars yet, any tips on that, also Kid, are you going lexan or retaining the windows?

3. I removed my door crash bars & went to town with a hole saw on the inner door panels making lots of holes, also drilled holes in the door hinges where possible, drilled holes in the whats left of the factory dash brackets/mounts.

4. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Concord, NC
    I am thinking of going the same route, any pics or advice? To go to fibreglass doors is a lot of additional $$$$$

5. LeKid

LeKid Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Winnipeg, MB
    I am not going lexan at this point since I want to be able to open my windows for street use and Pro-Glass wants $425 for curved Lexan that may still be sratched.

6. 1970camaroRS

1970camaroRS Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Everett, WA
    In the middle of a project to go from 1978 power window and power lock doors to 1970 manual doors that will be gutted. On the fence about going lexan or not. Probably will since this is an EXTREME street car that I'm building now. Able to go to work on Fridays...but you might not want to. That kind of thing.

Anyway, I will be cutting out the door beam and removing just about everything including most of the inner panel, regulator and glass.

So far, going from late model power doors to early model manual doors has saved me 10 lbs each, 20lbs total.

7. LeKid

LeKid Veteran Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Winnipeg, MB
    So if I removed the regulator and stock glass and put Lexan with a manual push up and down contraption, how much weight would I be removing? 25lbs a door???

Thanks

8. 1970camaroRS

1970camaroRS Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Everett, WA
    Maybe not that much, but close. I will be weighing all of that in about two weeks or so.

9. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    The crash bar weighs 17#. The glass itself doesnt weigh much less then lexan. Its the regulators and tracks combined with the glass that would save the weight. The regulator is the heaviest part of the window assembly. You can remove it and move the lower track stops up so that they hold the original glass up. A lot of the inner door structure is double metal,and very heavy. I gutted my 73 firebird doors but retained the entire window setup. I removed the skins,cut out all the crash bar and anything else I could,and reskinned the door with a jap steel skin with no sound deadener and I saved about 22# per door.

10. hemicop

hemicop Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Phoenix,Az.
    I did an '89 Caprice drag car for the PD here. When I gutted the interior , Door bars, crank mechanisms, inner frame structure all went by the wayside. The onlly thing holding the door together was a frame & door skin. We used Mopars old trick & used straps to raise & lower the windows. My best guess is that hacking on the doors alone removed 40-45lbs. from the interior, then we went after the deashboard & made our own aluminum one & saved probably another 10-15lbs. there. Couple this with your control arm replacement & you're 2/3 of the way there. Go after the frame rails/frame connectors with a hole saw, use aluminum whereever you can & you should be there---but it'll be one rattle-ly SOB......