Gun ownership and the Dr.'s office?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by The Chucker, Jul 28, 2015.

1. The Chucker

The Chucker Veteran Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Iowa
    I know I'm on tender ground with this due to the political nature of it, but here goes:

My wife went to the Dr. last week and was told they were updating their records and had a questionnaire for her to fill out. Seemingly, not a big deal.

Amongst all the routine stuff such as name, SS#, medical history, etc. was a question that asked if there were any "unsecured firearms" in our home. Admittedly, my wife and I are not "gun people", but she was shocked by this question and refused to answer it.

I'm sure the rationalization behind this may be due to potential prescription drug side-effects causing suicidal tendencies, etc. but has anyone else experienced this? Any medical office workers on here that can lend any additional rationalization to such an inquiry?

2. 75Camaro4x4

75Camaro4x4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Wilson, NC
    The rifle in my truck is unsecured, but I would've answered no still lol.

MAybe if hallucintion was an issue. If I thought I was in the woods, and saw a deer, I would shoot it.

3. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

That question has been on forms here for quite a while now. (2-3 years)
    I always answer yes. Mostly because a secured gun is pointless for protection.

They've never questioned it. :)

4. Devryn

Devryn Veteran Member

Aug 16, 1999
    AZ
    It's a mandatory question under the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare). Now WHY would they need that information on a medical questionnaire? Why do they need to legislate that the question MUST be asked?

5. Wadd2

Wadd2 Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Shelton, Nebraska
    Be careful answering yes to that question! Part of our great leaders plan is to take guns away from anyone that may be seeking the doctors help for depression or any other mental concern. Just another way for the man to stick his nose where it don't belong.

6. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    since this thread is doomed anyway

no guns have ever been taken away from legal owners

7. 69LM1

69LM1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 20, 2005
    New Orleans, LA

Untrue.

During Katrina there was a huge gun grab.

[youtube]i4D3PJjY_0E[/youtube]

Rich

8. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Maybe 'cause they were shooting at the National Guard?

9. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    LOL that was the PREVIOUS administration...I was talking about the current one

10. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    I'm not sure I really see a problem with this. You like to see mentally unstable (clinically) people armed?