Got No Brake Fluid going to my back wheel--Any ideas??

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 75LTCAMARO350, Oct 29, 2007.

1. rscamaro73

rscamaro73 Administrator Staff Member

FYI - I installed a rear wheel cylinder on someone's car and the bleeder hole wasn't drilled all the way thru. It was DRY....until I drill it out, and of course there was enough pressure to blow all the crud back out with me and the bit ;)

Just poke at it with a opened up paper clip.

Oh...and do like mentioned above if that 'button' is pushed out....

2. 75LTCAMARO350

75LTCAMARO350 Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Ok--I have changed both rear wheel cylinders. I left the bleeders open on both for hours....no fluid gravity bleed out.

question #1 ---The rear end is jacked ---would this stop the gravity bleed?

Q#2 ---The button on the end of the proportional valve is pushed in flush with the surrounding metal. So, this valve is opened? This should not be stopping fluid from going to the back wheel correct?

I will try old pump and bleed starting with the Rear Right wheel. ASAP Unless any one has some other ideas.

Thanks!

3. 75LTCAMARO350

75LTCAMARO350 Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, TX
    ***UPDATE---STILL NO Brake fluid to the back wheels!
    I tryed the old 2 person bleed and gravity bleeding none worked...

The proportionate valve button is pushed in already....I disconnected the brake line which goes into the proportionate valve to the rear wheels. only than did I get fluid to come out of the proportionate valve when someone pushed the brake pedal.

What could be the problem???? any help would be appreciated....

Mark

4. ram air dad

ram air dad Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Danville,Indiana USA
    brake fluid

Have you tried air pressure to the back wheels from the open line? You seem to have a blockage somehere between the proportioning valve and the rear wheels. I have had a flake inside a line block everything. Rare, but it happens. Let us know what you find out.

5. 75LTCAMARO350

75LTCAMARO350 Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, TX
    How do you air pressure the line? Can I do it?

Or does a repair shop have to blow out the line?

Thanks!

6. ram air dad

ram air dad Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Danville,Indiana USA
    I just take a blow gun and put the end to the open line. You may open the bleeders to "hear if the air is making it all the way through" You're going to rebleed the system any way so what air you put in it will be out when you're done.

7. 75LTCAMARO350

75LTCAMARO350 Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, TX
    OK---I got brake fluid going to the back brakes now!!!!!!!!! The Proporate value was opened. So I started checking 4 blockages in the lines. Turns out it was a blocked rubber rear line assembly!!! thx Kain13!!!

However I cannot get the clip back into slot on the new rubber brake line.

This clip holds the line to the frame. I don't think it is needed, but would like to use it if possible. Anybody have problems putting this clip back in the proper place. If so, how did you install it?????? THX and Merry X-mas!!!!

8. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    Have you tried lightly tapping the clip into place?

9. 75LTCAMARO350

75LTCAMARO350 Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, TX
    The clip looks like it should slide into a thin grove cut into the metal end of the rubber line. But this grove is now unaccessable. It is in the middle of the frame bracket. It must just need some adjusting to fit. I don't think it is a needed piece. I'll leave it off---unless I have any problems with the rear brakes.........take care ALL!!! Thx for the great advise!!!

10. 80ZGuy

80ZGuy Veteran Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Timmins,Ontario,Canada
    The rear brake hose is "keyed" sort of hex shaped with maybe one or two little tabs and so is the braket that the brake hose goes into, it will only fit one way and then the hose will come through just enought to get your horseshoe clip back on the groove will then be slightly above the bracket...

BTW just as I was reading through this thread another easier/quicker way of resetting the prop valve is to firmly "kick" the brake pedal once or twice and it will reset...If the battery is hoked up, turn on the key and you will see the "Brake" light on the dash illuminated after you kick the pedal or reset the prop valve the "Brake" light will be out. Mke sure the ebrake is off first since it uses the same light.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007