Got a Oil pressure problem, kinda long.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Old School, Feb 14, 2003.

1. EddieF

EddieF New Member

May 5, 2003
    staten island, new york
    Guys i read this entire thread and dont leave me hangin man!

Whats the culprit??? Dont make me lose sleep now too :p

EddieF

2. Old School

Old School Veteran Member

Jul 8, 2001
    Arlington, TX
    Man, I have yet to figure it out. I am just going to get am entire new short block and do away with the old one. I am tired of sinking money into it with no luck.

Michael

3. stu

stu Veteran Member

Oct 24, 2000
    I wonder about the fact that the pressure is dropping as soon as you load the engine, could it be crank lateral movement? If so, it would show up on a manual trans car when you pushed the clutch in. Just a thought.

4. Eric

Eric Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Um hmm- well- I had forgotten about this post until now. I have the same/similar problems with a Big Block engine (454 +.030"). Oil pressure drops instantly on acceleration and:

Engine has 3000 miles on it. Initially, oil pressure was 70psi cold and 25psi hot idle in gear. After a few hundred miles- dropped to 62psi and 20psi, then after a few hundred more- 60psi and 15psi. I have had what I consider heat problems- so this year's "solution" was to install a remote filter and cooler with a thermostat control on it- I also plugged the block-mounted filter bypass. Now that the oil is [theoretically] cooler- I still have 15psi at hot idle, but cannot get pressure above 40psi cold or at 5000rpms (this is also with about 14 feet of additional lines of 1/2" i.d. hydraulic hose). If I use synthetic oil (Mobil 1 5W-50) I drop to as low as 5psi hot idle in gear (pressure measured at forward hole by oil filter- BBC's don't have an "upper" oil access point to plug into). Put 20W50 dino oil in- pressure back to 40/15psi. Pump is a Melling standard volume.

One problem I did have with engine from fairly early on- I wiped out a lifter on the #7 cylinder intake valve and had to replace it at about 1200 miles. Basically, I have never been happy with the oil pressure and nothing I do seems to fix it.

Is this similar, or completely different? I will change camshaft and lifters soon to see what that does to oil pressure (solid lifters this time).

5. Old School

Jul 8, 2001
    Arlington, TX
    Eric, I only have about 700 miles on the motor, so given that I would get another 2300 miles on it, it could get worse and worse. The psi is the same as when I first got it going. But I'm not gonna find out, just gonna replace the short block.

Michael

6. Eric

If you're going to replace the complete short block anyways- why not find out the "hard way" and drive it till it creates a definitive problem?

I'm going to swap my cam/lifters and put in a high-volume pump and hope to h@ll this solves my problems.

7. Old School

Jul 8, 2001
    Arlington, TX
    O ya, believe me, I'm driving the it pretty hard, just don't want to take it to the track and have to get a tow back to the house, and then a tow to a friends house or somewhere to change the motor. It would make it alot easier to drive it under its on will and then change out the motor. But, I am having my fun here and there.

Michael

8. Eric

Buy an AAA membership and you'll be all set. [​IMG]

9. speedfreak

speedfreak Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Toronto,Ont.Canada
    I'm just wondering if cam walk would have anything to do with it,What do you guys think? Ever consider running a cam button,they are cheap.Just a thought,not sure what the cam moving around would do to oil pressure [​IMG]

10. EddieF

EddieF New Member

May 5, 2003
    staten island, new york
    Cam button good question. How bout valve lash? Sorry for askin but what was rod, main and thrust clearnances again?

Hope ya dont blow her up. Im not one that gets off on racing wrecks. Poor machinery :(

Heh except nascar..they made for it :)