Good rag joint to get?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by ULTM8Z, Dec 26, 2017.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    My rag joint seems a little loose... it's over 20 years old (since I put on the AGR box back in the late 90's). I can see it when I grab the steering shaft and wiggle it.

So what's a good rag joint to get these days? Is there anything better than a stock replacement (though I don't want a solid metal one that transmits a lot of vibration and noise and stuff).

2. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Apr 6, 2004
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    If my original was worn out after many years of service, I would consider replacing it with the same type AND since other parts wear and compress such as the subframe bushings, the old one might have become worn and developed a sloppy fit from things not being inline like when new.
    I would then with the new rag joint in place, make sure the column is in alignment to the gear box. If the column or gear box are not aligned then even a new one will wear out quickly or faster than it should. On the inside of the firewall there is a steel plate that wraps around the column and then bolts to the firewall with a thin gasket on it and by loosening the screws, the holes on the plate at the firewall are large enough to shift the column alignment up, down, left, and/or right but sometimes the gasket has created a seal and this might have to be broken with a putty knife to allow for adjustments.

Jim

3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Thanks. Yeah I have eurethane body bushings and they're still in great shape. Also have subframe connectors. The body on this car is super tight.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    I got a stock replacement from NAPA. A lot of people seem to forget that they are a safety feature(they protect you from braking your wrist in a crash) and replace them with a "u" joint.

5. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Looks like they have rebuild kits for about 10 bucks. I'l probably just do that.

Edit: looks like they also have polyurethane inserts.... interesting.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  6. dale68z

dale68z Veteran Member

May 14, 2009
    Glendale Arizona
    I used the $10 rebuild kit. But threw away all thesupplied hardware. I reused my original hardware, just welded over the swedged over end on the original pins.
    I have done 3 1st and 2nd gens this way, all are driver cars.

7. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

Nov 13, 2011
    GONE
    I think you may be onto something by using the old hardware. Check out this article by Jim Shea.http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=578

8. bucco47

bucco47 Veteran Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks for sharing that article.... who knew

9. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

May 19, 2000
    Los Angeles

That's good info. Thanks.

10. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member