Going to look at this car

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Strange81Z, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Strange81Z

Strange81Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 29, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    I know it looks rough but all I'm after is the body minus the doors and front clip. My 81Z had been wrecked and I didn't realize that the body was tweaked. So the doors will hardly close. I will transfer everything from my Z28 to this body...if I get it. My question is what all do I need to look for to make sure that I'm not in this situation again.?? Should I measure the door openings on both sides and make sure they are the same? How can I verify that this body isn't tweaked? As you can see in the pics the doors are sagging, but I'm betting it's just the hinges. So how else can I make sure the body is straight?

Also, he's asking 1300. The trans is bad and the carb is bad. He says it runs but not well. I don't think it's worth 1300. I'm thinking more like $700? What's your thoughts on price?

Here are some pics:

Attached Files:

2. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Judging from the trunk fenders and hood I'd say the car is straight. That stock serpentine system can be sold for $100 and $25 for the electronic fan. The motor might pull$200.00. Get it for a Grand and call it good as long as the quarter's are good..

Strange81Z likes this.
  3. Strange81Z

Nov 29, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    Thanks Jim. I guess I just want confidence... :)

4. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    1000. It also looks like after market quages in the reflection. Check everywhere for rust. Inside trunk,floorpans, trunk drop offs, lower quarters, tail panel, frame rails and torque boxes. A bad sign is bubbles anywhere in the paint.

Strange81Z likes this.
  5. Strange81Z

Nov 29, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    What do you mean by trunk drop offs and torque boxes? Sorry, I'm just making sure I know where to look. THANKS!

6. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    That's a fantastic parts car!

You could very easily double your money selling parts

7. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    Yeah, I know doors are hard to come by. If those are straight and solid they are worth a few hundred each. Like the other guys said, rockers, torque boxes drop offs etc should be rust free and it should be a good deal.

8. Strange81Z

Nov 29, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    What are torque boxes and truck drop offs?

9. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    Torque boxes are structural mount in front of the leaf spring mounted to the floor pan and in the front where the frame horns mount to the body. The drop off area is the are between the lower rear quarter and the drop off or trunk extension panel. Use you phone and stick down in the boid and snap a picture. Just dont drop it in. Also remove the vent in the door opening on the rear quarter panel and look down in the bottom.

Strange81Z likes this.
  10. Strange81Z

Nov 29, 2001
    Amarillo, Tx
    Cool thanks!

One more question. My buddy who has the truck and trailer can't go until tomorrow. I'm excited to go look at it today. Should I hold off until i can be there with the truck and trailer to negoicate or go negiciate and buy the car today? I know this is barely a negotiating tactic but just trying to save as much money as possible.