Going to look at a 1980 Camaro, Anything jumping out at you guys?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Elfmaze, Nov 29, 2017.

1. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

Looks nice. Wrong seats, not fond of where he put the gauges, I like a radio, wrong door panels and where is the center console?

2. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    I have honestly taken to using four/five channel amps and keeping all radio equipment in the trunk. less likely someone is going to try steel your radio if they don't know it exists. an Aux cable or Bluetooth to the phone works a treat. good call on the panels I didn't notice that. I'm more a custom guy than original equipment anyway. As long as the re-pop panels look high quality I can forgive some details.

Pricing wise I wonder if its a regional thing... all cars in Pittsburgh area look like there way more expensive than the rest of the country :(. I did get an email from him unprovoked that the price is firm, I wonder if hes had other looking at it and trying to cut the price. its really going to come down to how street friendly that 850cfm carb is... is it flooding all the time, responsive at stoplight driving? Is it really am M22, how clean is the paint, and if I find ANY rust or patch work I'm out. i'm facing well over $20K on the restoration of my current car, and this one might save me a good deal of headache if its solid still.

thanks for the help so far guys! this post has been fundamental getting my car buying head back in the right place!

serpent710 likes this.
  3. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Seems every small block I hear about is "500hp". I've thrown the Bullshit flag so many times it's crazy. I see an iron headed engine with about 375hp. until proof. Now, I'd get some specs to show proof. Cam specs, compression ratio, head specs, etc. If he's full of BS there, then I'd be suspect on anything else out of his mouth. If he says that he didn't build it, then ask where he got the hp number from. Find out who did build it and when. Contact them.

4. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    went to check it out. can't say if it had a M22 or not because i didn't drive it. Paint was about a five foot paint job. several defects, scratches, cracks up close. fairly rust free, BUT magnet was having a bit of trouble on the rear quarters, did a good job with bondo, can't visually see anything. The exhaust is getting crushed by the rear axle because he lowered it two inches... It did have a great stance and sounded fantastic... But he had zero interest in budging from the price of 16k.

engine was fairly snappy for being over carbed. I was surprised, though to be fair I didn't drive it just ran it in driveway.

I was really hoping the paint would be meticulous and I wouldn't find any evidence of rust. but that was just not the case. its still sadly for sale.

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Glad you let that one go, sounds like there's a lot of hidden issues if a magnet won't stick to rear quarters. Just be patient, a good deal will come along. We occasionally see good deals here where guys decide to go in a different direction with play toys.

6. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Smart to walk...way too many solid 1980s out there to be found..

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm late to the party, but my advice would have been to look over it good. These cars ALWAYS look great in pictures and not so common to be in person. The picture of the interior told me right away, its going to be different in person. Unfortunately because these cars are getting more sought after, people throw lipstick on them and try to flip them for profit.

Price is hard to nail down, but consider what it cost to get it in the state it is in...You can spend $10K just typical body and paint. So IMHO, $16K isn't out of line if it has the work done to it.

8. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    the pricing is really weird on these. still have a lot of people saying not to pay over $10K or even not over $5K but I've been looking over a 200 mile range from me and its rare to find a stick t-top car. Anything thats decently clean is asking $10-15K+ For now after a four month search with no real candidates I'm back to working on mine. EVERYTHING will be brand new by the time I'm done, and Engine bay is 90% complete(needs power brake conversion, steering pump/box figured out(custom works to the rescue), headers are hitting weird on driver side and probably need cut/rewelded, and all wired up). But its still a long road ahead, still needs engine wiring, interior, paint, and a bit of correction to a shitty rust repair on the tail panel... but every thousand I spend on mine takes out of my 20k cash on hand thats sitting for the "right"(doesn't need original, but does need solid running gear and clean turnkey cruiser) car to come along.

My biggest fear is that i'll drain my 20K into it ans still not be able to drive the car. second fear is that I'll finish it.... and discover I don't like the way it drives Lol, to be fair. Last time I was able to drive a second gen camaro... my car.. was in high school 17 years ago, and that was only for a short period before the original motor threw a rod