Going to look at a 1980 Camaro, Anything jumping out at you guys?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Elfmaze, Nov 29, 2017.

1. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

Looks nice. Wrong seats, not fond of where he put the gauges, I like a radio, wrong door panels and where is the center console?

2. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    I have honestly taken to using four/five channel amps and keeping all radio equipment in the trunk. less likely someone is going to try steel your radio if they don't know it exists. an Aux cable or Bluetooth to the phone works a treat. good call on the panels I didn't notice that. I'm more a custom guy than original equipment anyway. As long as the re-pop panels look high quality I can forgive some details.

Pricing wise I wonder if its a regional thing... all cars in Pittsburgh area look like there way more expensive than the rest of the country :(. I did get an email from him unprovoked that the price is firm, I wonder if hes had other looking at it and trying to cut the price. its really going to come down to how street friendly that 850cfm carb is... is it flooding all the time, responsive at stoplight driving? Is it really am M22, how clean is the paint, and if I find ANY rust or patch work I'm out. i'm facing well over $20K on the restoration of my current car, and this one might save me a good deal of headache if its solid still.

thanks for the help so far guys! this post has been fundamental getting my car buying head back in the right place!

serpent710 likes this.
  3. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    Seems every small block I hear about is "500hp". I've thrown the Bullshit flag so many times it's crazy. I see an iron headed engine with about 375hp. until proof. Now, I'd get some specs to show proof. Cam specs, compression ratio, head specs, etc. If he's full of BS there, then I'd be suspect on anything else out of his mouth. If he says that he didn't build it, then ask where he got the hp number from. Find out who did build it and when. Contact them.