Going to look at a 1980 Camaro, Anything jumping out at you guys?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Elfmaze, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    I am going to look at this one in two weeks. Its by far the most I've ever spent on a Camaro and I can't afford to mess this one up. Guy claims that it has a replacement crate motor that was making ~500Hp on race fuel... now detuned to run pump gas, I think someone else built it and raced it, but he said hes never run it. M22 trans, Hotchkis springs, 3.73 gears, new paint with possibly one small scratch on front bumper, asking price is $16K

I know some of these cars can be had under $10K but it does look clean... think its go for a look? I haven't run the VIN yet but claims a true Z28... not that that really matters to me.

I'm in the market for a turn key finished car that has some Wow factor!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    Looks like a nice car. Hard to put a price on a customized Camaro, so I cannot give any advice on value, but I strongly suggest you have the buyer put the car on a lift so you can check out the underside very well.for any hints of rust or collision damage repairs. Also, ask for the prior owner's contact info to maybe get some history on the car and the work done. If the car is as solid as the seller promotes, he shouldn't have any concerns providing the previous owner's info....

3. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    detailed pics of the underside would show us whether its a 5k car or 15k. Has it been fully restored or has it been spray bombed?

4. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    Yeah, kinda a shame that I can't get better pictures out of him... He has been trying to send a video of the car and it doesn't seem to be working. As I google him(super stalker like) There is very little info on who he is, very low internet profile. But there are a few guys with his name in the whitepages, looks like he could be between 40's and 70's depending which generation the gentleman I'm dealing with is. Might not be very computer tech savy. That said, judging from the Motorcycle in the Pic I think i'm dealing with the grandson who is in his 40's

I never even thought of collision damage. I will have my trailer there... Should be able to look at the underside after rolling it up on top.

5. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    Its a lot of money for those years and a questionable engine.

6. JD Z

JD Z Veteran Member

North of $10 and not a Z? If you are looking for a racing machine, maybe this is the deal. In my world, if it was more stock like it would call for more than $10. If you are looking for a charged up car that looks good and you can verify the sound engine/mechanics, I could go there.

A good look over for underside rust a must. Not what I would spend that level on.

7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Too much for me. Unknown engine is big. 'detuned race motor' is a huge red flag to me. Too many personalized details and it just looks dated. Some guys like the dated look though. Need to verify its a real M22 so when you sell it to get an OD trans you make more money than a regular muncie. :)

Looks like a great starting point for doing what you want, but not at that price. Just my $0.02

8. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Agree with Bonzo on the engine. Seems like every crate sbc someone has is 500 hp, would be interesting to know how he detuned it. I would say the suspension is dated, still had drums on back. With T-tops and anything over stock horsepower, make sure it has sub frame connectors. Like others said, get it on a lift before the handshake. From the pictures, it looks pretty nice, just not 16K nice.

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    its has mismatched cam , carb and heads = detuned . Z28 doesn't matter anymore ..

10. Elfmaze

Elfmaze Veteran Member

May 23, 2002
    Pittsburgh PA
    I am still trying to figure out what to do about this mystery engine... Hopefully when I get there I can get some better info on it. I doubt the 500hp. but as long as it runs strong it may still be OK. Putting an M22 in there could be a sign that it was built strong. A compression check can help verify that it is safe to run pump gas, correct?

I did get a vin comes out to a sport coup out of ohio build. not really much there i guess... I'll have to pay for a car fax as i get closer to drive day. 1G1AP87H8BN119***(not sure if posting VIN's is dangerous)

his quote "Paint is GM black 4yrs old never seen weather.no swirling has a scratch on bumper but I can't get it to show up in a picture. It has new correct seats in it now. Back seat has no rips or fading I'm not sure if they were replaced during restore. Runs drives shifts without a problem under 2000 miles on basically everything. No rust dents. Tires bfgs about 80%.Western ultralite wheels. Only thing bad I can say about it is passenger window goes up slow has new motor not sure what the problem is. And it's going to need a speedo cable doesn't work all the time. It's not original engine it's tuned for pump gas at 3 degrees. A little over 500 hp. Could probably get another 100 with different tune and fuel. I only street drive it. No radio or Ac."