GM Type 2 P/S Pump - Return Fitting?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by StrongSurvivor, Mar 6, 2018.

1. StrongSurvivor

StrongSurvivor Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Bold Springs, GA.
    Hi Everyone,

I am having a real time finding a -10AN fitting for the return port on my GM, type 2 P/S pump. The guys at my local hydraulic hose shop are stumped. They say the port is threaded 19mm x 1.5 or something like it. I assume this is some "special" thread size and pitch for power steering components. I need a -10AN hose to male adapter for this thread size and pitch. I know they make them because everybody and their cousin sells these pumps with the fittings installed. The problem is, nobody appears to sell the fitting separately. In the attached photo, I refer to the fitting pointing down to the left in the photo.

If you know what this fitting is and where I can get one, I would really appreciate the information.

Attached Files:

2. StrongSurvivor

StrongSurvivor Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Bold Springs, GA.
    Hey Rich,

That's what it should look like, but those in your link are 16mm x 1.5 on the adapter side. From our measurements, this thing measures closer to 19mm, which technically shouldn't exist. Thanks for the help...

3. Ihada70Z28B4

Ihada70Z28B4 Veteran Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Buffalo,NY,USA
    They should be 18 mm.

4. StrongSurvivor

StrongSurvivor Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Bold Springs, GA.
    Thanks Ihada,

We tried so many different fittings, I cannot remember of 18 mm was one of them! I've got one at home. I'll try and see.

5. Ihada70Z28B4

Ihada70Z28B4 Veteran Member

Oct 4, 2002
    Buffalo,NY,USA
    I have a type 2 on my LT1 but the return is a pressed in 5/8" hose nipple like on the 90's B body cars.

6. StrongSurvivor

StrongSurvivor Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Bold Springs, GA.
    So I thought I'd get back to everyone on this thread. I purchased a -10AN x 18mm x 1.5mm adapter in the return port. The fitting's a little loose in the port, but it did tighten up. Being the return port, it will see no pressure and I believe will be OK. Thanks to all for your comments.