GM service guys - Help on 07 trailblazer for kid - disconnect HVAC

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by LADDTWZ, Jan 10, 2017.

1. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    Looking for some help here for the kids 2007 Chevy Trailblazer. I had to replace the rear heater hose from the block to the core. the hose has a quick disconnect on the end that goes into the core ( pic # 3). For some reason the plastic clip does not fit the new hose. I was told the only way to get the clip is to buy the entire heater core, which, sorry, but is absurd. The plastic clip in pic 1 & 2 goes over the core line coming from the bulkhead to the core. The issue is the plastic clip is just a little bit different as the flat spots are larger than the flat spots on the new hose for line up. I removed the clip and tried it outside the vehicle and it will not fit. Goes into old hose, but not the new hose.

Sure I'm missing details so ask away. I tried a Doorman aftermarket, but that will not fit either. How can I buy the clip and not the entire core?

Thanks! when you have a 19 yr old and his wheels are down, life is miserably... :)

QD 1.JPG QD 1.JPG
    hose end.JPG

Attached Files:

2. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Indy
    I replaced the heater hose on my wifes Denali. It was tight but with a little lube I slid the hose over the end that the fitting clips on and used a hose clamp. The ridge is the hard part to get the hose over but it holds it all in place. Hope it helps.

3. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Ford used a similar clip on the Econoline and Aerostar vans..... you may try getting one from them. Measure it first, you'll need to know if it's a 5/8" or 3/4" line you're dealing with.

If that doesn't work, bypass the rear core and ship it.....

4. bracketracer-78

bracketracer-78 Veteran Member

Sep 5, 2003
    Stevens, PA USA
    I modified the rear heater hose on my old suburban. I cut the couplers off then just used regular heater hoses and hose clamps. For the sharp bends i inserted a spring inside the hose. I ran it like that for 13 years and i sold it like that. I never had a issue.

5. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    Maybe I should clarify "rear heater hose" Not for rear end heat, but off the rear of the motor, so bypassing is not an option. I tried to lube it with lithium grease, but still no avail. I'm afraid so much pressure trying to push it on will damage the heater core.

I like the idea of getting rid of the couplers and just using a hose clamp, might have to run it a little long but that might work.

Hard to believe the stupid 2$ part has to be purchased with a $500 heater core, which one would never replace in this instance.

Think I will hit the line with a bit of fine sand paper and see what happens. Whats stupid is if I literally beat the quick connect into the hose it will go in, but once it's on the line, no way will it "snap" in to the quick connect.

6. 71 rs BBC

71 rs BBC Veteran Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Indy
    Maybe try cutting a chamfer on the ID with a knife on the hose. Maybe try heating it up a little with a lighter or something. Good luck.

7. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Aug 1, 2012
    oak lawn, illinois
    What about Dorman #47165?

8. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    I tried to find something like that and then just use regular hose and clamps but nobody had one in stock and I had already tried 2 dorman products very similar. They were just a touch off. Enough they would not clip down tight or the clips were just a bit different and would not provide a good seal.

I finally ended up taking a utility knife and re-designing the original plastic clip just enough to get it into the hose end, then lubed the snot out of it and crammed it over the pipe. To my surprise it held and is not leaking.

If it does tho I'm probably going to just use heater hose and good old clamps. Hard to fathom you have to buy an entire heater core to get a replacement clip. That's whats so frustrating.

9. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Klein Texas
    My experience is the clip is part of the coupler. Yes, when disconnected it stays on the nipple but needs to be reinstalled into the coupler end for reinstallation