GM 10 BOLT gear pattern

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by D94, Feb 6, 2018.

1. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    The bolts with the 5/8 heads are junk and will most likely cause you problems later. Using the original bolts is better than using the junk bolts.

Every time you do a trial assembly the differential bearings should be shimmed tight enough that it is hard to pull the differential out by hand. On the final assembly the shims should be tight enough that you can not pull it out by hand. As long as your backlash has been within specs and the shims have been tight on each trial assembly everything should be good.

2. D94

D94 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Thx. So if I have a big difference in shim stack between rgs and other side, it's ok as long as backlash is good and it's tight enough?

3. D94

D94 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    IMG_2794.JPG IMG_2792.JPG Ok. Did final assembly, now I have this. Oh well... time to start over. Can I leave seal in? Probably not right?

4. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I have been watching this tread and I feel bad for you. You have been working so hard on this. Keep at it.

5. D94

D94 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Thx. No worries. All good, this is how you learn. I could have taken somewhere paid the dough and been done. What fun is that? BGH was right when he warned about using setup bearings. When you press them on they sit a lot tighter. See lesson learned! I'll get it...

CasperCasper likes this.
  6. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    That's too bad. I thought this might happen, but I hoped that it wouldn't. You can leave the seal in as long as you can get the pinion in and out without damaging it. Just be sure that the spring doesn't pop out of the back side of the seal.

7. CasperCasper

CasperCasper Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2015
    That is the right additude, good on you!

8. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Be careful when pulling the yoke on the pinion through the seal, you may damage it if not paying attention and having to repeat it several times.

9. D94

D94 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Thx. Ordered a few more as well as inner bearings just in case. The bearing separator I have is a little tricky. Doesn't quite fit right under the cage. I can get the bearing off but usually messes them up. I'm looking at how to maybe modify it a bit or else it's a new bearing every change.