GM 10 BOLT gear pattern

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by D94, Feb 6, 2018.

1. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    That's the best so far. You might want to keep this one. Just be warned, when you change that pinion bearing you might have to start over again. I don't care much for set up bearings. I like to do the set up with the actual bearing that will be used in the rear end when it is finished.

2. D94

D94 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Thx for the heads up, thx for all your help with this. I know that this is a very specialized area that most leave to the pro's, but this something I always wanted to try. You sir are a true professional, and may I say one hell of an individual to help people like me.. If I ever to meet you, beers on me bro! Thx...

3. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Just a check: did you open up the back lash on this try when compared to your previous one with .022? The pattern has shifted more towards the heel, what isn't bad as the real contact area spread out under load.

4. D94

D94 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    No, actually I may had it a little tighter. Just a hair under .008. Still trying to get carrier bearings set right. Stock shims were .255 rgs .240 other side. To get my bl to .008 I have .259 rgs .206 other side. I know your supposed to add what you subtracted from one side to another, but I can't get a consistent bl when I do that. I've been going back and forth all day. Trying this pinion spacer now, no shims tight as hell. W/Smallest shim .010, loose. Fun, fun, fun!

5. D94

D94 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Never mind. Checked with torque wrench, w/ no shim right about 20in lbs. Maybe a hair under.

6. camaro71/holland

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    My bad..... Should have asked if you've decreased the BL since it moved towards the toe.

Solid shims can be a PITA if you've only got a couple of shims from one kit. When you're almost set but need a small change, you can also get there by sanding the shim with fine grit sand paper on a flat surface.

7. camaro71/holland

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    You mean you checked the bearing torque with a (click type) torque wrench? This type won't give you a correct reading, you need a torque-o-meter or a brake away torque wrench.

8. D94

D94 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Is it necessary to use a shim? I think I'm good with just the spacer.

9. D94

D94 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    No. Didn't mean bearing torque. I meant pinion preload with spacer. Didn't check carrier bearing preload.

10. D94

D94 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Another couple of questions if you don't mind,,,
    I didn't like the ring gear bolts that came with the Richmond kit, heads were smaller so I reused the factory bolts. Is that ok?
    Also, to get the bl I need I read a post where someone mentioned BGH would shim the ring gear side over to get the bl needed which is what I have been doing. Factory shims to big. I guessing I just fill in the other side till tight. I know it's not the way most explain to do it, but it seems to work better for me. Is it ok to do it that way?