GM 10 BOLT gear pattern

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by D94, Feb 6, 2018.

1. D94

D94 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Yes about 20inlbs w/setup bearing.

2. D94

D94 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    IMG_2771.JPG IMG_2770.JPG I was able to get to .027 pinion on the pinion with the new kit. Backlash still around .008. This is what I have now. Still can't get the drive side to look right. Keep getting that shark tooth look. Could it be carrier shims not right? Could my backlash be off? Still trying to get the hang of the dial indicator. Hard to get consistent reading.

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    I don't know what happened, but it looks worse now than it did with the .030. Something didn't go right. The pinion is still too deep. Try .023.

4. D94

D94 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    IMG_2777.JPG IMG_2775.JPG This is .025 pinion shim. Backlash just about .008. I think it's close?

5. big gear head

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    Still looks too deep. The coast side is pretty close, but the drive side isn't there yet. Notice the sharp dark line at the root of the tooth and the light feather at the face of the tooth. This is what you want to go away. Look at the coast side. Notice how it's pretty even at the root and face with no dark sharp line. This is what you want the drive side to look like.

6. D94

D94 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Thx. I'll try going thinner on pinion shim .023 tonite like you mentioned earlier. Is it possible that my backlash is not correct? I'm still skeptical on whether or not I'm doing it properly. I can get .008 reading at times but sometimes it jumps all over. Also the carrier gets very tight in the case, have to fight it out.

7. big gear head

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    Set up the indicator so that the plunger is perpendicular to the center line of the ring gear. The bearings need to be somewhat tight. If you can still pull it out by hand then its all right for set up, but on the final assembly it needs to be tight enough that you can't pull it out.

8. D94

D94 New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    IMG_2781.JPG IMG_2779.JPG This is what I have now with .023 pinion shim. This is where I envy you guys and your knowledge on this. I can't tell anymore. I want to say it's probably as good as I'll get, not sure...

9. big gear head

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    Keep going. I don't understand why you are not seeing much more improvement than this. With as much shim as you have removed the pinion should be way too shallow at this point, but for some reason it isn't. Try a .020 or .018 shim and see how that works.

Are you checking to see that the pinion bearing is completely seated against the shim when you put it back on? It seems like it's not moving at tall, even though you have taken out more than .010 from the shim.

10. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Had the same experience with a set once. It just didn't want to set 'right' and was not responding to changes in a normal/predictive way. Ended up in setting the best achievable pattern centered on the tooth. Still doing well behind a blown 401 sbc in a pick-up.