Gen 2 Camaro Rear Body Work

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by P Baker, Aug 31, 2017.

1. P Baker

P Baker New Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Hi all,
    I am working on the rear end of a 73 Camaro. Cross rail was completely gone (rust) along with about half the rear panel and the lower few inches of the rear quarter panels. Also, trunk floor panel was about half gone (gas tank was held up mostly by prayers) and the last few inches of the frame rails were gone. I have welded in place new frame rail sections and quarter panel patches. Have purchased the new trunk panel, rear panel, and cross rail (all three parts). When I clamp the cross rail and rear panel in place there is a gap between the quarter panels and the rear panel. I have looked at photos (A Craig Hopkins post) of other Camaros and there appears to be a piece of sheet metal that connects the quarter panels to the cross rail (the piece in question looks bigger than the cross rail extension). I have looked high and low on the web and can find nothing like this piece of metal. Are people making this stuff on a case by case basis?

Any help would be appreciated. Links to videos or books that show this work being done would be great. I've watched a few of Craig Hopkins videos but have not yet seen what I'm looking for.
    Thanks,
    Patrick

2. P Baker

P Baker New Member

Aug 31, 2017
    Hey,
    I think the link you gave me shows a pic of the cross rail extensions. See attached photo for piece I am missing.

3. P Baker

P Baker New Member

Aug 31, 2017
    upload_2017-9-1_7-48-57.png
    Photo showing missing piece

Attached Files:

4. realrsz

realrsz Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Macomb, MI
    P Baker:
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say "cross rail". I would assume you're referring to the tail panel but you mention that too in your post so I'm confused. I replaced all the rear sheet metal two years ago on my '73 and did not find what you call a cross rail. There's the inner and outer tail panel - from the photo you included, it looks like the end is missing off your inner t/p but in my case, it's all one piece (see my photos). DSCN2920.JPG DSCN2916.JPG

5. realrsz

realrsz Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Macomb, MI
    In looking at some of my photos, I came across a "gap" that looks like a missing piece. Could this be what you're referring to? We knew we were going to get that and applying a little persuasion from two come-alongs, along with a bottle jack did the trick. We pulled both quarter panels in toward center (the lower portion of the panels), removing the gap (at each end) and welded them to the tail panel.

DSCN2921.JPG
    DSCN2993.JPG

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  6. danny42984

danny42984 New Member

May 5, 2017
    I'm replacing my tail light panel and trunk extensions/drop-offs on a 72 Camaro and the only piece that I can think of that it could be is the cross rail extensions. Jegs has them for $20.69 each (Auto Metal Direct 871-3570-R and Auto Metal Direct 871-3570-L).
    I just made mine out of some 18 gauge sheet metal but I did have my old ones to go by on the shape. The cross rail extension is definitely what connects the rear of the quarter to the cross rail.

7. danny42984

danny42984 New Member

May 5, 2017
    Mine is apart and I'll look when I get home and see if there is anything else there.