Gauge Cluster Problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Tallguy2o0o, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Tallguy2o0o

Tallguy2o0o Veteran Member

May 25, 2002
    Poughquag, NY, USA
    I'm in the process of removing my Guage cluster and i'm haveing trouble getting the bezel off, i cannot get the light switch to come off. How do i do that???

2. jeduffey

jeduffey Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Garwood, NJ, USA
    Been there done that. Got the answer in an earlier post. There are two keys to getting the bezel and guage cluster out. One: lower the steering column, two nuts, 5/8 or 9/16 I think, under the dash. Two: the dimmer switch nob is permanent to its mounting rod. The rod is held into the switch by a spring loaded pin. Find the little round button on the dimmer switch body. Hold it down and pull out the nob and rod. Bingo.

3. Kunihiro

Kunihiro Veteran Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Upland, California, USA
    You can manipulate the cluster out of it's pocket,,w/o having to lower the steering column. However, it makes life a lot easier when you do. One important thing to know & do is to remove the screw, which is attached to the right side of the steering column. The screw holds a small square plate, which is attached to two small wires, which in turn is attached to your gear shift indicator. If you don't remove the screw and you lower the steering column, it will break the small tiny arm inisde your gear shift indicator.

Been there done that too

Kunihiro

[This message has been edited by Kunihiro (edited November 21, 2002).]

4. Tallguy2o0o

Tallguy2o0o Veteran Member

May 25, 2002
    Poughquag, NY, USA
    i don't have a tilt steering wheel!

5. Petes 81Z

Petes 81Z Veteran Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Mechanicsvile VA USA
    Also been there, done that. I can disconnect the light switch w/o touching the steering column. I take all the allen screws out for the gauge cluster cover for lack of a better name, then I can pull it out enough to get my hand behind to depress the button you have to push to release the headlight knob.