Gas heater selection for my 24x24x10

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by woody80z28, Sep 5, 2013.

1. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    Thanks Champ.

That won't make the back side of the garage near the door a cold spot? That garage door is gonna be where most of my heat loss is, I'd think. I'll figure out the measurements for that orientation.

I am happier at 50 than 80. Planned on setting the tstat about 50 for the winter.

2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Woody

As you posted, the garage door is your biggest heat loss area. That's why I aimed mine away from the door and towards the area where I will spend the bulk of my time.

Is it cooler by the door? Yes. But who cares? Even if I'm working on something back there, it will still be warmer than without a heater.

Unless I'm in my shop working, I have mine set at 40 - 45 degrees. That's fine for me for short periods. If I'm going to be outside working for a long period of time - I'll crank it to 60 and then set it back to 45 after it clicks off. My shop is insulated well enough that I'll be comfortable for another hour or two without running.

Your area is quite a bit warmer than mine. You'll have no problem keeping our shop warm enough to work.

3. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I'd like to keep the heat as even as possible...I am planning on paint & body work in there over the winter. I wonder how much cooler the overhead door area would be even with the heater on the back wall pointing to the door at a 45, or how cool the far wall would be with the heater on the attached wall and pointing at a 45...

It would be nice to test it in a couple areas...but that's not practical with the intake & exhaust vent pipes...

4. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Ok, you're use is way different then mine. I thought keeping your work bench warm was a primary concern for you.

Radiant heaters heat objects, not air. You may want to consider just mounting it in the center of the garage and have it aimed straight down. I would run it with the ends facing the garage door and your work bench.

It will warm the floor, which will in turn radiate heat from the concrete and disperse it throughout the garage.

5. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    Was supposed to be delivered on the 26th. Apparently it was lost in Syracuse for a week...so I just got it Friday.

I measured it out and think I may have found the best place for it. It requires 56" clearance to combustibles when mounted straight down...not gonna work with a car parked there. Only needs 38" when mounted at an angle...makes finding a spot a little easier. I mocked it up over the bench, but aiming over your head. Hopefully it wont be too warm under it this way, and all the clearances work out great. And I'm hoping only being about 3' from the wall, it won't leave a cold spot behind it.

Thoughts? Gas guy won't be here for a little while so I can still move it around right now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]