Gas heater selection for my 24x24x10

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by woody80z28, Sep 5, 2013.

1. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I'm in NY, so it gets cold, but the whole garage is drywalled and the door is insulated. Walls have R13 and the ceiling is R30. The door in front is a 16' and my compressor and work bench, etc are on the opposite wall in the back.

My local HVAC guy recommended a 40k BTU ceiling mounted box heater in the far corner above my air compressor. He said it would be a pretty good match and the price isn't bad. Seems pretty straightforward.

I'm liking the characteristics of infrared heat though, and would like to explore a tube heater. Probably at a 45 right above my work bench on the back wall. Will this be super hot while working at the bench? I know a few steps back from a camp fire can make all the difference. haha

Here's the spot I'd like to install it.
    [​IMG]

And an older pic that shows the size better.
    [​IMG]

Once I have the type of heater selected. what the recommendations for where to get them?

Thanks

2. Widowmaker01

Widowmaker01 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2009
    North East, PA
  3. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Madison, WI
    The box heater/Modine style would be better. IR is pretty directional but very nice if designed and sized correctly. I think you mounting height is too low. Typical height is 20 foot for mounting, or higher.

40k on the heater will do a good job. I have the modine unit and it is fantastic.

4. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I used to run an HVAC company, and I installed both. I do think your ceilings are a little short for the IR, but they are nice for a few reasons. One being they are a lot quieter, and since they heat objects, and not the air, they are nice to work under, especially if you get the concrete heated, and then pull a car in, the concrete feels nice on your back. I however have a 45,000 BTU Modine Hot Dawg in my attached 24x24x11.5, and it heats it great. The hot dawg is a lot faster heat. I can raise the temp from 50-70 in 10-15 minutes, where the IR would take a while before it felt warm.

5. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    I have a 30x40x10 with R19 in the walls and R38 in the ceilings - with an 80,000 BTU gas fired infrared tube unit. Larger garage/colder climate than you - so I think a 40,000 BTU unit for your shop would be fine.

I do have scissor trusses so my mounting height is higher than what you could do with a 10' flat ceiling.

The unit works flawlessly.

I normally just leave the heat at 40 - 45 unless I'm working in my shop for extended periods - but then I grew up in the north country and have worked on cars outdoors in below zero weather in my younger days. It doesn't take long to warm the shop up if I crank the heat up though.

[​IMG]

As you can see in the photo above - I have mine mounted at a 45 - like you are considering.

However - I have mine mounted about 12' in from the overhead door - 28' from the back wall where I have my workbench.

[​IMG]

6. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

Sep 12, 2009
    pottsville,pa.
    i was looking into the nat and lp gas for mine, but mine is only 16x30, ill be watching this thread

7. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Yours would heat great with a 30,000 BTU.

8. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    Thanks, Champ. With your ceiling height and placement you don't have the issues I'm worried about. I'm thinking if I do the tube it will be roasting at my bench. Bottom of the heater would have to be about 8' from the floor and 2' from my face...haha

If I put it at the other end I have the garage door to contend with...same for the side walls. But I guess in winter I wouldn't have the overhead door open so maybe a side wall would work? Obviously I'd have to remove the stuff from the top of the shelving and a couple lights.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  9. woody80z28

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I went ahead with a radiant tube heater since it is sealed combustion and the price doesn't work out much different than a sealed box unit. It will be delivered Thursday.
    http://www.hvacdistribution.com/pro...medium=cse&utm_campaign=googleshoppingproduct
    [​IMG]

Now I just need to finalize the place for it...over the bench or on the attached wall? Over the bench might be really warm when working at it. On the attached wall it might be a little more comfortable. I need 38" of clearance to combustibles mounted at a 45*, and I would have to clear off the top shelving unit and cabinet, but that's not a big deal. Would turn storage space into wasted space though. My main thing about mounting it above the bench is the comfort factor. Anyone have an infrared close to their bench and is it too warm directly under it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Woody

My suggestion would be to mount the unit about halfway between your garage door and your work bench - with it aimed toward your (45 degree mount) towards your work bench.

This will have you 6 - 8' from the heater - which should give you plenty of heat by your work bench - but not "cook" you.

My unit pictured above is probably around 20 - 25' from my bench, but mine is a much larger heater.

That and I've worked on race cars in shops with little or no heat for years - if my shop is 50 degrees I'm happy in most situations. I can make it 80 degrees in there if I want to though.