Garage lighting

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by zekefreak, Apr 11, 2015.

1. zekefreak

zekefreak Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 16, 2006
    western PA
    I'm thinking of putting a ceiling in my garage (33' x 15' inside dimensions) to cover the rafters. But before I do this, I want to replace the 6 - 4' fluorescent light fixtures with something better. I don't want to spend big bucks but I want a well lit garage. What do you guys have/prefer?

2. david_396

david_396 Veteran Member

May 10, 2002
    Hanford CA
    4' t5 light fixtures.

3. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Texas
    I just went thru a similar exercise while lighting my new shop. - I bought 4 of the new 2 lamp fixtures that use the 46" T5 54 watt HO lamps ($40 for the fixture + $20 for the bulbs ) these are listed as 5,000 Lumens each bulb for a total of 10,000 Lumens per fixture. - I installed 4 of these 2 lamp fixtures and the lighting is decent, (side note: these use 110 watts each, for a total of 440 watts whenever those 4 lights are on).

I was originally going to purchase a total of 12 of those, but before I bought any more, I noticed Home Depot has a new LED shop light that supposedly puts out 3,200 Lumens. The light they had on display looked super bright and I thought I'd pick up a few and see how they compared to the 2F54T5 HO's that I just installed -

Maybe it's me, or maybe the "whiteness" of the light is greater, but although I was skeptical at first, I truly believe these new 3,200 Lumen LED's put out more light than the 10,000 Lumen 2 lamp F54 fixtures. - Bonus that the LED's only use 36 watts each as compared to the 110 watts the 2F54 fixture uses.

To make a long story short, I ended up forgoing any more of the F54T5HO's and bought 4 more of the LED's so I now have 8 of the LED's and 4 of the 2F54 HO's. I am now contemplating parting ways with these brand new 2F54T5HO's and putting in 4 more of the LED's.

Best part, other than the lighting quality, is that all 8 of the ones I now have use almost 1/2 of the electricity the original 4 fixtures use.

- To summarize....., go check out the LED's at Home Depot. - I've noticed recently that a few of the Home Depots I stop in at don't even have them on display anymore. I am wondering if the brightness of the LED's slowed down the sales of the fluorescent fixtures and they don't have them up anymore. At any rate, the LED's are sold at Home Depot, they are made by Commercial Electric and come in a green and white box. They are $39 each, and include the "bulbs" so they are $20 cheaper than the T5's with the bulbs.

--

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  4. zekefreak

zekefreak Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 16, 2006
    western PA
    I know the fluorescents are affected by cold weather and that's one of the reasons I want to replace them. LED's are not, correct?

5. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    LED are not affected by cold weather like a fluorescent and you will practically never have to change a bulb again.

One you find the model you like, Google it for reviews.

You can pick the temperature (color) of the light from intense white to warm white. You may be able to get full spectrum so the lights don't affect the color of things you are looking at.

6. ripcurl329

ripcurl329 Veteran Member

May 14, 2008
    Fredericksburg, Va
  7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

A lot of threads on LEDs at garage journal

8. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    the low temp fluorescent fixtures are not affected by temp at all

9. zfool

zfool Veteran Member

May 19, 2014
    Rochester, MN
    T-5's will work in cold climates. Very bright.

10. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Kentucky
    T5 fixtures they are CRAZY bright