Garage Lift Recommendation

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by mgd1790, Jan 23, 2016.

1. mgd1790

mgd1790 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Suburban Chicago
    Hi,

Looking to purchase 2 storage lifts, nice without getting something insanely expensive for no reason, but I'm 6'4" and I would like to get underneath the cars on each lift. Nothing major but if I get out of the car below I do not want to low-crawl.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks.

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    How high is the ceiling and what kind of car will be on top?

3. mgd1790

mgd1790 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Suburban Chicago
    Good questions. I haven't built my garage yet, that will be connected to my home but I have as much height as I need. I'm going to build it tandem as the width of my lot is narrow. I'm going to have exposed roof trusses, thick ones and nice looking, so I will have space in between but I will still make the overall height of the garage/home whatever I need to make it.

On top of each lift I would have a Camaro or similar but may have a late 40's pickup up there on one lift. I may elect to do a two 4-posts and have a 2-post as well to work on things underneath all in line with each other. Not worried about getting things in and out with any frequency so the tandem garage is fine with me.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    It sounds like you are pretty much wide open on the requirements. I don't have one, but I like this :http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/automotive-lifts/2-post-lifts/a7/

It uses a hydraulic crossover to sync the sides together rather than a cable. For me, this is advantageous for headroom as I have a finished ceiling and can run the balance via flexible hydraulic hose in the attic.They are rather expensive though.

For purely adding to garage floor space, a 4 post lift has certain advantages. The floor does not have to be as strong. They tend to be less expensive also. The disadvantage is working on the brakes and suspension can be complicated.

5. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
  6. sam73

sam73 New Member

Oct 29, 2015
    Russellville,AR
  7. speed_m5

speed_m5 Veteran Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Baytown Texas
  8. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

DIRECT Lift (Made in China) however OWNED By ROTARY (designed in USA)

9. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Jan 8, 2004
    N. Massapequa, NY, USA
    I have the two post Mohawk used lift that i bought from a lift repair shop with 19ft ceilings and I can get car really high.

I am 5-8 but I think it will clear 6ft.

10. Ribbs

Ribbs Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I have the extra tall version of this lift (I'm 6'6"). Went together easy, bolted to the floor, works great! I'm only a hobbyist so mine only goes up and down 10-20 times per year. Good value.