garage lift question

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Glava, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Central NY
    I'm pretty sure that I will be able to pull the trigger on a direct lift four post car lift for my garage this spring.
    These things seem fairly inexpensive at about $2,100.00 and only require 110volt power.
    I have an 11' ceiling, but the garage door track is lower and would make it tight to store a car on top.
    Any one know if the garage door track can be extended higher and the opener moved up to get more clearance?
    Thanks

2. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

Feb 7, 2013
    bradenton fl.
    yes, the door tracks are on the inside. get a couple of track sections in the length you need to extend it ( say 2 feet or so )and just adds them to the existing track (top or bottom). If your beams are running horizontal with the door you can actually run the door into the attic space,,,,,a friend of mine did that with his door.

3. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 18, 2003
    On Wisconsin!
    Yup... I extended (added a 2 foot piece) before the curve in the track... I also made a longer bar for my garage door opener to make that work correctly;)

4. Glava

Mar 23, 1999
    Central NY
    Wow, that is an awesome set up!
    One advantage that I have is my garage is deeper on the side that the rack will go on.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  5. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

Oct 20, 2004
    cumming,ga-usa

Mine doesn't have all the fancy control things shown in the link.It's a simple wall mount opener.

6. Glava

Mar 23, 1999
    Central NY
    Here is where I am at;
    Direct Lift 4 post lift $ 2,095.00 8k lb 68" clear lift. Includes (4) drip trays and (1) Jack tray
    Delivery and Installation $ 450.00
    Garage door track modification $ 486.00
    Lift Master 8500 $ 300.00
    Reznor hanging 60K BTU natural gas garage heater w/ thermostat.
    The above will be done the 1st week in February!
    Then finish mudding seams & paint walls and epoxy paint floor with??
    This is the before;
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/att...d1390347912-garage-lift-question-img_0467.jpg
    http://forums.corvetteforum.com/att...d1390347912-garage-lift-question-img_0462.jpg

7. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    You could save a few bucks by eliminating the opener all together and going old school. I did that when I installed my lift.

8. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Blythewood, SC
    Cheap and Lift are two words I don't like together. EVER. I bought the safest on the market at the time which was Backyard Buddy. That was 12 years ago though.

That said, I didn't high lift my door and I regret it. High lift that door asap. I don't have an opener, but the side mount Liftmaster is the only one to consider if you want an opener with a lift.

9. Glava

Mar 23, 1999
    Central NY
    I had done some research & measuring before saving up the money and saw that raising the track and using a Lift Master would be needed.
    Since this is the door of the garage on my house I need to have the opener.
    The lift master not only has a remote, but also has an app that lets you verify open or closed from anywhere.