Garage ideas anyone?

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 80 Z28, Jul 7, 2013.

1. 80 Z28

80 Z28 Veteran Member

Floor drain with heat tape for the winter, speakers, radiant heat, insulate it, vent fan with make shift curtain so I can dable in painting parts. The only problem is the lift and the overhead door. I am limited to space.

2. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    Whenever possible, go two-story or at least put in an overhead storage loft. My current "shop" is nothing more than an oversized storage unit. It is a 25'x40' unit with 16' walls and 2 bay doors. I built a free standing 400 sf loft in the back half for a parts warehouse. That consists of nine concrete block columns supporting three 6"x12" beams with 2x8 floor joists and 3/4" t&g flooring on top of that.
    I can't drill any holes in the units walls but the side beams are J-bolted to the purlins on each side in three places each, and it is solid as a rock. I even added a staircase since climbing a ladder with an iron BBC cylinder head is interesting at best. The only things missing are water and 220v service. The 110v however, is free. I have lots of zoned lighting and adequate power for most of my equipment. The owner has been in the unit and is cool with what I have done. He even likes the fact that we are out there at all hours of the night for added security, too....:bowtie:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  3. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Blythewood, SC
    Have you looked at the Garage Journal website? Thousands of great ideas over there.

4. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    Put a mattress in corner for wife incase she gets out of line she can sleep out there.

5. motown 454

motown 454 Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Ma.
    If you can get the height you want with the walls put storage in the attic. I used trusses and am sorry I didn't stick build the roof.

6. 1934chevycoupe

1934chevycoupe Veteran Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Harleysville, Pa
    i built an addition to my garage 2 years ago. it's a 15'x 24' bay w/ a 15' x 30' bay at a 45* angle to each other . the big bay has scissor trusses, and the door tracks parallel the ceiling. ceiling height at the peak is 15', as i planned to install a 2 post lift. made the floor 6" thick where the posts were to sit.

the little bay has regular ceiling joists w/ attic storage.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  7. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Bremen, Ga
    Build bigger than you think you will need. If you can't go longer or wider, then go taller. You run out of storage space fast and having the loft or overhead storage will be great.

I'm making due with what I have as the house we bought last year already had a 24 wide x36 long metal building on the land, but the way it's setup, the front end is only place for a roll up door, so I can really only pull one car in at a time.

If I could re do it, I would have 2 roll up doors on the side (across the 36') and that would leave room in front of and to side of cars for work space.

As already said A LOT of electrical outlets and lights.

My shop had a 200 amp breaker box already in it, put no real wiring done yet nor hooked up to elec. service when we moved in.

I wired the building up with 11 110 volt electrical outlets, 1 240 outlet and hard wired my 240 V compressor to a breaker in the box. I really recommend twice as many 110 outlet as I have now.

I have 7 4' twin T12 light fixtures that I picked up real cheap at a yard sale. They might good light but I really would like to hang 4 more.

Having running water would be a great idea for cleaning parts, washing hands, etc. I don't have it yet but plan on putting atleast cold water supply and drain in my shop.

Wall cabinets and shelves are great for storage of parts, tools and supplies. You need all the floor space you can get for cars and work areas so moving stuff onto the walls is great.

I'm also a big fan of peg board.

8. Mr.SS

Mr.SS Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 10, 2006
    NS.
    Lots of good ideas in here. Mine is 24 feet deep and 30 feet wide with a 10 foot wide carport on the end. I plan to close in the carport to make another room for the compressor, furnace, shelves, etc and I can work in there; grind, spray etc and not worry about the cars. I have 14 foot ceiling and a high lift door on the side closer to the workbench where the lift is. My workbench is 12 feet long and I had a sheetmetal top bent up to cover the 1" plywood top. I have a storage loft above that runs the length of the building; it is just the center section, 4 feet wide at the bottom and tall enough for me to stand up in the center. I am 6 feet tall. My next garage WILL have running water and a toilet. There is nothing worse than having to wash up to go in the house to have a dump in the middle of a job.

"A man's home is his castle; but his garage is his sanctuary."

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Are you sure?

Last I heard, "A man's home is his castle, but his garage is where he puts his junk."

10. Mr.SS

Mr.SS Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 10, 2006
    NS.

Not mine. The attached garage and the shed are for tools and junk. My garage is for my cars. :cool: