Garage ideas anyone?

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 80 Z28, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Philip

Philip Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 30, 2006
    Marana, AZ
    If by 2 car you are considering a 24x24 size, a lift will take away form half of the work space. Unless the ceiling is 12' the lift will have to be in the middle of the shop.
    A 24x36 or a 30x40 is about the minimum size I would go with for a lift. That way the lift can be placed at the forward end of one side or in one stall depending on which dimension is the depth and allow ample room to work in the rest of the garage.

2. 80 Z28

80 Z28 Veteran Member

I was thinking of placing the lift in the center with vaulted rafters so I could get away with 8' walls. Then park my Canaries on the lift, lift it then have a place to park my 50 under it

3. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    When you paint the floor, use a tan epoxy paint and not grey. That way dropped bolts are easy to see. Epoxy paint is good and lots of companies make it. One major caveat though is to put extra grit in the paint when you paint the floor. Epoxy paint is slick as snot and if you don't have enough grit, you WILL be falling a lot. My floor is nearly 10 years old and except for where the jacks sometimes get dragged, it looks like the day I painted it. Clean up is easy with just paper towels.

4. gary 80z

gary 80z Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2009
    West ofChicago
    it looks like the day I painted it. Clean up is easy with just paper towels.[/QUOTE]

If you do any welding DO NOT paint the floor. I painted mine and all was great for awhile...until I got a welder. Now all the places that I have welded are pealing!:(

5. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Blythewood, SC
    I didn't paint my shop floor. I was afraid it would get slick when I spill stuff, and I weld and paint in my shop a lot.

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Sep 14, 2000
    MN
    Scissor trusses will give you good center height. In my 30x40 using 6/12 pitch scissor trusses I have nearly 5' extra ceiling height at the center. I have 10' sidewalls, so nearly 15'.

[​IMG]

Lot's of light, lots of electrical, paint it white to add to the brightness. Shelves mounted up high so that you preserve floor space.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I went with a radiant tube heat system. Very happy with it.

[​IMG]

7. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota

In your climate, a painted floor should not get too slippery. Up here in snow country, painted floors get deadly when the temperature drops below freezing and a thin coat of frost forms on the paint. You are just as safe trying to walk on a frozen lake as a frosty painted floor. I've seen vehicles slide sideways in a garage on frosty painted concrete.

8. Tim D

Tim D Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Rutherfordton NC
    My ideal shop would have an area to wash my vehicles. Floor Drain and a Giant Shower Curtain.

9. 79Zee28

79Zee28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northern, NJ
    Heat and A/C along with enough height for a lift and/or storage. A drain would be nice, but it is not allowed in my area.

10. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Blythewood, SC
    You don't know how skilled I am at spilling ATF. I can leak more oil than the Exxon Valdez.