Garage ideas anyone?

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 80 Z28, Jul 7, 2013.

1. 80 Z28

80 Z28 Veteran Member

So I'm starting to plan to build a typical two car garage. What did you guys do that you would have done differently, or had the chance to go back and add something. Right now I am thinking a vaulted ceiling so I can put a lift in; and a floor drain....

2. Pull in hot and cold water. Install a sink and counter for cooking. Tie into the plumbing and install a urinal. No toilet, cause then the wemenz may want to use it :)

3. Happy Johnson

Happy Johnson Veteran Member

Dec 5, 1999
    Fresno , Ca
    I'd insulate it and add a/c and heat.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Make it a typical 4 car garage instead of a 2 car garage.

5. 80 Z28

80 Z28 Veteran Member

No space for a 4 car garage. Thats why I'll be trying to incorporate a lift. Insulation and heat is a must as I have winter to deal with.

6. 57Plymouth

57Plymouth Veteran Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Blythewood, SC
    Be sure the trusses are not over the garage doors. That way you can high lift the doors and leave them open when you have a car on the lift.

Plenty of outlets and air line drops on all walls.

The longest workbench you can build. Make it 30" deep. Put on a steel top if you can afford it, masonite over two layers of 3/4 ply if you can't afford steel. (mine is masonite, and it is 20 feet long, which isn't long enough)

Lots of storage, especially overhead. Put in a loft to use the space up high.

Twice as many lights as you think you need.

Heat and A/C would be wonderful!

At least three good fire extinguishers placed strategically.

7. 80 Z28

80 Z28 Veteran Member

Wow, never even thought of that.....opening the door with the car on the lift.

8. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Valdosta,Ga.
    Best advise would be; make sure it's big enough & make the ceiling height high enough for a lift.Everything else can be added later except maybe a bathroom.

9. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

If and when I build one, this is what I want to build, based on what other people I know have, and what they've had issues with, or wish they'd done:

- 2.5 car garage (as in about 4-6ft wider than a normal 2 car, more room to work on one, without having to always kick the other one out)
    - 1 drive-thru bay - overhead door on each end. Friend of mine did this on his attached garage, and I think its a great idea.
    - run in hot and cold water
    - wired for three 220v outlets (one on each wall not having a door)
    - Florescent lighting, as opposed to traditional
    - Lighting in the walls as well as the roof (think paint booth style here)
    - Insulated and drywalled throughout
    - Drain in the floor
    - Ceiling wired for sound system, ceiling mounted speakers (I have to have music on to spend any real amount of time working on my stuff)

Just my thoughts on how I would like to build mine.

10. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A garage or a workshop? A garage is a place to park em, a shop is a place to work on em.
    My biggest issue would be the door, get a roll up curtain door not a typical overhead door. When I open the door, it blocks a lot of light and I loose a lot of headroom and the tracks are in the way. Make it 8' so you can get a lifted truck in there if need be.
    I also installed a steel beam for a rolling trolley crane, best investment I could have done. Real handy for pulling an engine without the use of a engine hoist bein in the way.

Plenty of air power and lighting - cant have too much of any of em.