Garage Door Opener used for Privacy Gate Remote Control?

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Goodwrench1965, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    What do you think?

http://youtu.be/WlTI5dGOWu8

2. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    that's a pretty clever design. I've seen quite a few in my area, but generally they install them so they pull the gate straight back instead of swinging out. Putting the opener in a box to protect it from the weather.

3. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I'd be interested to see video of using a garage door opener to pull a gate open to the side like you describe. I could not figure out a way to do that. I also already had the gate built on a hinge anyway. The configuration of my yard did not allow a sliding gate. Manufactured gate operators are typically much more expensive than a garage door opener I guess because they are less common.
    Yes my opener is installed in a plastic box I bought kinda like Tupperware plastic box.

4. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    I'll have to get a closer look - but the one's I've seen have about 8 inch wheels on the end of the gate, and the opener is installed several feet away - the gate just rolls back towards the opener. Obviously some type of bracket would have to be used to keep the gate on a track, and against the fence.

5. Rickdef17

Rickdef17 Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Plymouth MI
    My brothers a garage door man. He's done a couple straight ones. Not sure that guys in the video is very safe. Sure is a lot of parts moving around. Cut your fingers off. Problem is keeping it warm around here. Check em out at storage places, thats where they have them with keyless entries. Call a local Garage door guy on Craigslist.