Garage bench suggestions

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Joekool, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    I need to put a work bench in my garage, looking at Lowes and Home Depot and I'm not seeing much of any quality. Any suggestions where to buy a good work bench? I'm all ears

2. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I have always built my own. Make it to fit the space I need and storage the way I want it.

Zstar and brooksman9 like this.
  3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    I build mine as well is pretty cost effective....If i need a really hard work surface i will buy a cheap kitchen countertop from menards - works well.

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    I built one too. I made it high enough to clear an engine stand with an engine inverted. You get the laminate to go on top to customize fit. I painted mine with high gloss white enamel. It gets beat up so I'm going to put the Laminate on. At least it will not stain and cleans easy.

5. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    I bought 2 tool chests and then made a plywood top and covered it in 16 gauge stainless steel.

6. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I really like these home made benches with a 2x4 top.
    You can beat the piss out of stuff, and if it gets a little damage, who cares.

I also have a kitchen counter top work bench, but NO BEATING on stuff.
    I use that for my lap top, books, soldering, fine work etc etc.

7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 12, 2011
    atlanta, ga
    ^^^ what he said....

8. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Charlotte NC
    I built mdo plywood with laminate on them work benches on several walls in my garage. I used 4 by 4 post and two by fours for a subframe and mounted the mdo and laminate on top of that. I was also fortunate at work too salvage some elevator doors from a renovation I did in the hospital . Those elevator doors are stainless steel and very heavy which made excellent workbenches mounted to the wall and supported at the outside edge with struts made from EMC electrical conduit. I angled the struts from the outside edge back to the wall. I find it very desirable to make the space under the workbench clear floor area so you can store things there and sweep under there too. Any heavy metal panel like an elevator door makes an excellent work bench especially if it's stainless. But like I said for the average guy mdo plywood from the lumber yard and inexpensive laminate make a very nice workbench.

9. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York