Fuse box resistor/wiring shorts

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Alan Burg, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Alan Burg

Alan Burg New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    UPDATE/EDIT: photos attached. First - wondering if anyone can tell me where the wire coming off the resistor is supposed to connect to(see photo).
    Second - I have a short on two circuits clock/lighter/courtesy lights & stop/hazard, I don’t have a factory clock or any clock for that matter so clock not the problem.
    After further investigation I’m seeing that the parking lights, side marker lights and tail lights remain on even when the light switch is off—Any idea what this could be guys?
    There are all kinds of wacky lighting issues, at first the heater control light would stay on with light switch off and now it won't come on with switch on. Turn signals work with light switch off and sometimes work with switch on. Any advice where to look? IMG_1173.JPG IMG_1175.JPG

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    That "resistor" is actually a capacitor/condensor. They are used to filter noise off lines that are sensitive. You can check the wiring diagrams here for your model to see if it shows up.
    http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/diagram.html

3. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Colbert, WA USA
    "I’m seeing that the parking lights, side marker lights and tail lights remain on even when the light switch is off" - This sounds like the light switch is in the "park light" position.

I think you have problem with the switch. It is a sliding copper bar that moves between several terminals/contacts to operate. They can fail, slip, or simply not move correctly.

4. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Victoria BC
    JM2cW. I had some quirky lighting issues...can't remember exactly, I changed out the light switch and all the problems went away. The LGT Sw is a buggar to get out!

5. Alan Burg

Alan Burg New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Thanks guys, I tested the light switch it works as designed, but what I did find were issues with my lighting wire harness contact points and bulbs, I cleaned the contacts and replaced the bulbs and most issues are resolved. The only issue that still remains is when I put the passenger turn signal on the rear turn signal, tail light and corner marker all flash. I haven't been able to figure this out yet. Maybe the relay in the steering column?

6. Alan Burg

Alan Burg New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Thanks guys, I tested the light switch it works as designed, but what I did find were issues with my lighting wire harness contact points and bulbs, I cleaned the contacts and replaced the bulbs and most issues are resolved. The only issue that still remains is when I put the passenger turn signal on the rear turn signal, tail light and corner marker all flash. I haven't been able to figure this out yet. Maybe the relay in the steering column?

7. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Sounds like a bad ground for the turn signal bulb in the rear, causing power to flow through the other bulbs to find a path to ground. Can be a bad ground wire or faulty socket. This can also occur when an 1156 bulb is installed in place of an 1157, and the bulb shorts the contacts in the socket together.

8. Alan Burg

Alan Burg New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Thanks SGRN, I'm thinking your right. I already checked a grounding wire for the tail light harness which is in the trunk and it looks clean, secure and sound, but I will definitely remove it and clean it up to be sure. I was looking at a link on youtube where someone was saying that there is another grounding wire that travels down behind the license plate would you happen to know if this is true? I wont be able to check this for two weeks, that's the next time ill be where the car is.

9. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/wire/78w-rear.jpg

Looks like you need to check the black wire at the blinker bulb socket for resistance to ground using a meter. Should be close to zero ohms. A cheap meter from harbor fright will work if you don't have one.

10. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Jun 1, 2010
    DFW
    Oddly, the light switch itself has to be grounded. Same w/ the wiper switch or so I've recently read. Strange things lighting when others are turned on are generally ground issues.