Fuse box resistor/wiring short circuits

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Alan Burg, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Alan Burg

Alan Burg New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    1978 camaro: I've been tracing some short circuits and have found two circuits that seem to be the culprits, the stop/hazard & clock/lighter/courtesy, but I'm not finding an issue with any of the grounds, courtesy lighting or light sockets. --Any tips on specifically what to look for?
    Second question: At the bottom left of my fuse box there is what looks like a resistor, the wire coming off the resistor is just hanging loose, can anyone tell me what this is supposed to be connected to?

2. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    I thank the clock should only show grnd. for a split sec. when the points touch to rewind, the grnd on the courtesy lights should be able to turn on,off ground with the light switch and at door switches.. the stop /hazard will on ,off as it flishes to grnd. cig lighter push in,, harbor fright sales a cheap tester with red and green lights that i found that is very usefull in tracing shorts, i also found that my glove box light stayed on and drained my battery a lot. wish you luck

3. Alan Burg

Alan Burg New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Thank you for your reply, I’m going to update my post with more info

4. Alan Burg

Alan Burg New Member

Aug 16, 2017
    00A89673-A627-4A6D-AEC4-3B7F04C269CD.jpeg 96B8A633-7431-4D73-9723-CB6A115F11B9.jpeg
    UPDATE/EDIT: photos attached. First - wondering if anyone can tell me where the wire coming off the resistor is supposed to connect to(see photo).
    Second - thanks Hogg, I should elaborate. I don’t have a factory clock or any clock for that matter so clock not the problem.
    After further investigation I’m seeing that the parking lights, side marker lights and tail lights remain on even when the light switch is off—Any idea what this could be guys?

5. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    The resistor you describe is actually a capacitor used to reduce RFI. Put an ammeter across the fuse holder and see how much current is going through. Be careful as if it is a lot, like a dead short, it will pop the fuse in the meter. See if the stop/hazard fuse only goes when you step on the brakes. Could be chafed wiring where the harness goes under the carpet en route to the taillights. For the clock/lighter fuse I'd unplug the lighter plug from the back of the socket and see if the fuse still pops immediately. You can measure resistance to ground on the load side of the fuse holder with the fuse removed, then divide 12 by the measured resistance to calculate current. If you read near zero resistance, you have a dead short to ground.