Furnace - Blower Fan Shaft Moving

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by mgd1790, Jan 2, 2018.

1. mgd1790

mgd1790 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Suburban Chicago
    On the squirrel cage, it was rubbing a little. When I pulled out the cage to make the adjustment I see that the whole shaft is moving back and forth. The motor is working fine. I didn't know if I installed it wrong last year. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!!

2. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    What did you replace last year? The motor?

3. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Post a picture if you can. Only the shaft moves ? Side to side or in and out ?
    Depends on the blower arrangement...is the squirrel cage mounted to the shaft or does the shaft go through a exterior bearing first. Sounds like bearing issue ...could be internal or external ...could be the motor frame mount is loose...many different blower arrangements.

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Electric motors do have fore and aft movement. Side to side is not good. You might just have to slide the fan to adjust or have to clearance the housing if the motor is ok.

5. mgd1790

mgd1790 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Suburban Chicago
    Here's a video I just made.

6. PalmbchZ28

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    When you're looking at the front of the unit... the blower shaft will have a little movement left to right.
    there's a collar with a set screw in the middle of the blower you can loosen that up and make sure the squirrel cage is Center in the blower housing. Depending on the brand of motor there can be up to a quarter inch of left to right movement. Usually the higher quality Motors will have an eighth inch or less. Also usually on the squirrel cage blades there will be a weight... if that's wait is gone it will throw it out of balance which will also make it rub. Or if the fan blades are impacted with dirt it will throw it out of balance and make it rub. Also you can check there should be three points where the motor bracket mounts to the blower housing make sure all of those bolts are tight and there should be a rubber isolator in the center of them.

7. mgd1790

mgd1790 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Suburban Chicago
    Thanks for the reply. The play is like 2 inches or more so I am aware of where you could adjust it on the shaft but it’s quite a bit so I don’t know if there’s something inside the motor that can be adjusted so the shaft doesn’t have that much play. I did get it at a heating and cooling supply house versus just something on the Internet but maybe I messed up something. I may just get a replacement and try that out.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  8. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Motor will hit magnetic center when up to speed. Lot of play is probably not right but if it doesn't rub when starting or running it might not be a real problem.

9. PalmbchZ28

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    it seems like 2 inches of play is impossible the way the motors built but whatever I seen some crazy stuff.. It should not have that much play. Take the motor back and get a new. It might even have a one year warranty