Full vs Stripped Interior for Autocross?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by sandiego74, May 9, 2017.

1. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Delray Beach Florida
    Might consider a modern light weight battery and leave it up front. Saves you the weight of a long length of heavy gauge battery cable and a shut off switch plus the weight savings of the lighter battery. When our only choice was heavy batteries it made more sense to move them to the trunk, especially for drag oriented cars.

2. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Now that I've finished adding the roll bar, harnesses, seats, and trunk-mounted battery, I'm planning on putting the interior back together. However, would it be ill-advised to put the carpet back in without any sound/heat insulation? I drove the car around and don't mind the added sound and heat.

3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

In drag racing for every 200lbs lost , that's worth a 1/10 sec reduction in ET

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Our car's interiors can't weigh all that much....it's mostly plastic panels and a few screws.

5. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I've only removed the seats, some panels, and the carpet, and none of those really weigh a lot.

Question is, would it be okay to lay the carpet down without anything between it and the floorboard? I'm just thinking it may be a potential fire hazard without any sound/heat insulation beneath it.

6. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I'm "thinking" there's a member here that sells a light weight floor insulation.

7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    You could also look at using an "aluminized heat barrier" sheeting like the stuff from Cool IT/Thermo Tec. Adhesive backing that can be used on the outside floor boards where the pipes and mufflers are. I used it, (#13590) works great to keep the heat away. Also, the little weight you add from the carpet underlay is in the "middle" anyway.

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    If you install a roll bar to increase safety after removing the door crash bars.... You will not have saved weight and the roll bar is still in the middle of the car.

9. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    At this point, I am not exactly trying to save weight with the interior, as I've already decided on keeping the interior. My question is do I NEED insulation between the floorboard and the carpet? I don't mind the added sound and heat, and I'd rather not buy and go through the process of installing it.

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member