Full vs Stripped Interior for Autocross?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by sandiego74, May 9, 2017.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I'm about to start upgrading the interior with some Corbeau seats, harnesses, and a roll bar, and also move the battery to the trunk, though I'm having an issue deciding whether or not tear everything out, including the rear seats, carpet, windows + regulators + crash bars, etc. in order to save weight. However, all of the weight I'd be removing would only shift the weight distribution up front even more; at least, that's what I'm thinking it will do.

Is it worth it to strip the interior? I don't think I'd be losing much weight because of the roll bar addition.

Can I see some pictures of your autocrossing 2nd-gen Camaros interiors?

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You racing for money? Do you drive the car on the street?

Johnny Blaze likes this.
  3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    5529277575_d2325a91e8_b_26512224230_o.jpg it all depends on what class you are racing.

4. BonzoHansen

Doesn't look like autocross lol

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    If it's ever going to be used and driven on the street, I would advise not gutting the interior, and strongly advise not to remove the doors internal center reinforcement braces.

As far as autocross and your "saving weight" question goes, I have personally found I get faster times with a passenger, (time and time again)
    I was told by a few top autocrossers with much more experience that overall "balance" trumps weight, also the reason why I get faster times on a full tank of fuel!!

6. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    This is exactly my thought on it. I feel like stripping the interior would just throw off the weight distribution even more.

I would be in the C.A.M. class, I believe. I've been trying to autocross this thing for years, but have never finished the few things needed to pass tech. Putting the battery in the trunk is the last thing I need to do.

And yes, I do drive it on the street. I've already removed the crash bars from the bumpers, so I don't think I'd mind removing them from the doors, but only if it's worth the effort.

7. BonzoHansen

do not remove door crash bars unless you are running a cage. Which if you are negates it as a street car. I even question the rollbar, but if you want a harness instead of a 3 point then you need one.

you need to move the battery to pass tech? or is your current battery just not secured properly?

don't ruin the car making it a race car unless you want a pure race car. the whole point of autocross is you do not need a race car.

My suggestion is put it together, enjoy it, do more autocrossing and make improvements based on your racing results. the nut behind the wheel will need far more tightening than anything else.

8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    "Putting the battery in the trunk is the last thing I need to do."

That's one of the good things to do.

"And yes, I do drive it on the street. I've already removed the crash bars from the bumpers, so I don't think I'd mind removing them from the doors, but only if it's worth the effort"

Well, BonzoHansen has made some key points above and agree with him on every one.

But, after all and in the end, it's your ride and your safety, not to mention the passengers.

But I will say this, I have pulled the beams out of quite a few "second gen's" in my early days, the average weight is around 17 to 23 lbs pending years. Lots of work for that weight in the "middle".
    The effect and the weakening of the doors structural integrity is very much compromised, the design and attachment points keeps things out of the interior in a side impact, and the human body does not take "side impacts" very well.

It did not take long that I starterd to refuse to do any more of these mods for "street" cars.

JMHO

9. sandiego74

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    This is exactly why I love this site so much. It didn't take many responses for me to make up my mind on the matter. Thank you all!

10. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you've pulled the crash bars out of the doors then you'll need to have a 8pt cage with door bars just like what I did to my Camaro

Also adding a cage not only protects you and your passengers it also stiffens up the chassis . mine is tied into the front / rear subframe and also the rockers

KIMG0039_optimized.jpg KIMG0041.jpg