fuel tank venting clarification

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by biggrass, Jun 1, 2017.

1. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    I’m having a similar issue with my crap tanks inc made in some dark dungeon in China fuel tank.

I am going to re route the vent line with the valve they sent me and see if that helps.

Printstron likes this.
  2. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    replaced my tank a few years ago, but used the CANADIAN Made tank. No problems with the tank.

3. Printstron

Printstron Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Bakersfield, California
    I just purchased a 69 Camaro vented cap and will plug the vent at the fuel pump. It’s a “Vented” “Anti-Purge” cap so I’ll let you guys know in a few days.

4. HOGDADDY

HOGDADDY Veteran Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Birmingham,Alabama
    That is a return line at the fuel pump. Fuel return lines carry excess fuel from the fuel pump or fuel filter back to the tank.

5. Printstron

Mar 16, 2010
    Bakersfield, California
    It has three ports: Feed, Return, and Vent. The feed and return are both hooked up to the fuel rail (LT1 out of 4th gen). The vent is currently open to the air. That should be where the smell is coming from.

6. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    If you use a vented gas cap you can plug all the vent lines from the tank. Pretty sure thats how my 67 cougar is... havent gotten to my camaro one yet. Carburator one fuel line only.

7. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2003
    USA
    Are you talking about an EFI fuel pump? or a mechanical fuel pump? Either way i wouldnt plug anything at the fuel pump.

8. Printstron

Mar 16, 2010
    Bakersfield, California
    Yes this is EFI. The Tanks Inc tank doesn't come vented so the only vent it has is built into the fuel pump. Thats the vent port I am planning to cap. It will be a few days before i get to it though. The cap I purchased for the 69 doesn't seem to fit at first glance but I only had a second to mess with it as I was going out the door.
    [​IMG] Vent port is the on in the center. Just a barbed port.

9. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Los Angeles, Ca