Fuel tank advice

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by smace, Aug 16, 2016.

1. smace

smace Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have a 79 z28. The car has always been parked inside with no rust. I bought the car 5 years ago and it has seen very little use, The last 3 years it has been sitting in storage. Last week I got it started again after having to replace the fuel pump and filter. It runs really good going down the road but at ideal it runs a little rough and some times stalls out at idle. It also runs a little hot mid day in Florida. I plan on taking off the carb and having it rebuilt Monday. I am having to drop the fuel tank and replace the sending unit since my gas gauge doesn't work. My question is should I take the tank to a local place for $95 and have it cleaned out or just buy a new tank since I am going through the trouble of removing it. A new tank is about $150 at NPD which is local in Ocala.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  2. roeville

roeville Veteran Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Castro Valley CA
    My tank sat for a lot of years and when I pulled the sending unit to look inside, it looked brand new. Use a good light and inspect the inside of your tank, you might not need to have it boiled. That said, I'd lean towards a new tank if needed especially since you can pick it up yourself. It will have no dings and look nice too.

Mike

3. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Colbert, WA USA
    I will second this. I dropped my tank last week to replace the sender. This is a 1976 Camaro, and the tank has never been off the car to my knowledge. There was surface rust on the outside, but the inside was beautiful. If it looks good and nothing is collected in the bottom, replace the sender and move on. Or have it cleaned if you like. My thought was that if it isn't broken, why replace it? If it looks rusty inside, replacement might be a better idea.

4. smace

Aug 17, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Thanks guys that is what I was thinking. Is it easy to look in side it. I was told because it sat it may have bad gas and it is all gummed up and I will never get that out without it being professionally cleaned.

5. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2008
    SF
    Check with tank suppliers sonetimes they'll have a few tanks with some small dings and a good discount
    I got a tank with a ding once for less than a hundred and once installed you couldn't even see the it

Just an idea

6. smace

Aug 17, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    After I dropped the tank and saw what was inside I decided to go buy a new tank. To my surprise I was shocked how bad the gas was inside the tank even after I put 15 gal in the last week. I am surprised the car even ran with this gas.

Any thoughts if it will run cooler once I get it back together with the carb rebuilt? It has been running 190 to 205 around town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    The sending unit looks pretty nasty. I guess that's why we have to drop the tank to know for sure. Every tank I ever removed was clean as a whistle and was a waste of time removing it. Yours wasn't a waste of time for sure.

8. drewclonezap

drewclonezap New Member

Nov 17, 2017
    I think you would have a better peace of mind knowing you have a new tank and sending unit that is wired correctly too. Then you will be through on that end. Plus you can see the new tank from behind.

9. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

May 11, 2012
    Florida
    If you think you might ever go to EFI and need an elec pump this is the time to upgrade the tank.