Fuel system return line? needed?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Mwilson, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

Never heard of air bleeds

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    They are probably using $$$$ internally-regulated fuel pumps in the Pro-Mods.

Blown Camaro and muscl car like this.
  3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I'll also note, some guys run a "surge tank" for fuel return.

They prevent fuel starvation and can serve as a close to the carb fuel return.
    When doing EFI conversions we used to use them to retain the stock fuel system and step-up fuel pressure to EFI levels.

4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's a very easy fix if you need it. Many, if not most probably don't, but with the monster pump I did.
    I could not stop the damn thing from popping on the launch from all that fuel hitting.

You get a N2O jet fitting and some #20-30 jets, use the smallest one you can that controls creep.
    You use an existing gauge port or add one at the regulator, and just run all those -3 lines into a -6 return to the cell.
    Obviously on a car like mine, it's easy, the cell is a foot away from the regulator!!!!

I have no clue what a modern Pro-Mod with 4-6 stages are doing,
    but it's worked perfect on my antique Pro-Mod and my 10" tire car.

5. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Haven't tried this yet. I was under the impression that the hole for the return inside the filter itself is a bit smaller than the fitting for the return line, (weep hole style). My car has a 3/8" line from the tank all the way thru the entire system, pump is Edlebrock putting out 5.5psi, and feeds my 383 stoker just fine for street use. 1/2" line seems excessive unles you're racing the car...after all, you're just keeping the carb bowls full.