Fuel Pump Replacement....Which Brand?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by GoldenOne7710, Feb 21, 2014.

1. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Fuel pump in my '02 Silverado crapped out on me on the way to work this morning. Had it towed to my father-in-law's garage and I'll be going to change the pump in the A.M.

What brand fuel pump would be better to put back in it?

Airtex = heard a lot of people say they're extra 'whiny/noisy'. Still on the fence about durability

AC Delco = OEM....but it's only offering a 1 year warranty

Bosch = Supposed to be a good quality replacement unit. Lifetime warranty and costs about $20 less than the AC Delco.

Delphi = Likely the exact same pump as the Delco. Same price and everything. Again, just a 1 year warranty.

Denso = They're asking for an arm and a leg...plus 1st born. Not sure why it's so much more expensive.

I want the replacement to be as quiet as the OE pump and I'd like to get another 12 years service out of it, if I keep the truck that long....which I likely will.

2. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Delphi or Airtex would be my choice. Make sure you change the fuel filter while you're there, too. We see filters plug up and the pumps usually die of a heart attack from trying to ram fuel through a plugged filter.

I wouldn't install a Bosch anything on any car or lawn mower that I own...... that even goes for their 02 sensors.

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    for a $20 cost difference go with OEM and be done with it
    Lots of aftermarket pumps require some fiddling to make them fit. I'd rather plug and play for $20

4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I have had a lot of luck in the past with Airtex but as of late it's been nothing but trouble. I'd go with delphi (cause Mikey likes them) or delco. I have no issue with the denso except the cost.

5. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Well my dilemma is that I 'have' to get this truck done and out of the paw-in-law's way tomorrow, ASAP. After all, it is occupying one of his bays (he only has 2). The Delco and Delhpi both have to be ordered. The Airtex and Bosch are in stock.

So which one out of these 2? Both lifetime warranties. Bosch is $310 vs Airtex for $250.

6. Chevy 350

Chevy 350 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 4, 2007
    So. IL
    I always opt for the cheapest lifetime part if available and not way too pricey

7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    If that's the bottom line and you just can't wait I'd go airtex

Nothing like trying to go to work and having the car crap out on you. I'm just too old to want to deal with the inconvenience of being stranded and the hassle of making the repair multiple times.

8. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    Isn't Delphi owned by or affiliated with GM?

9. Shane

Shane Moderator Staff Member

Jun 24, 2000
    Conyers, GA
    Go with the Airtex. I put one on my 98 Silverado 2 years ago and it's been trouble free ever since.

10. Mike N

Mike N Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Spencerport, NY.
    Delphi is, whereas I don't think AC Delco is run by GM anymore. I'd be leary buying anything with AC Delco on the package, since you're likely to find "Made In China" printed right next to it.

Last Delco sending unit I got crapped out in two weeks, so I sent it back with a couple packets of soy sauce and a fortune cookie in the box.