Fuel Pump Change - Gas everywhere?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Spellbound, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound Veteran Member

Oct 5, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I am about to change my fuel pump, can I expect a lot of gas to drain out?:eek:

I was hoping (as the line goes over the wheel well before the fuel pump on the block) that high point would stop fuel from flowing from the tank.

I had a horrible time changing that small rubber tube midway on the body in the fall - (gas just wouldn't stop flowing) but at least I was in a well ventilated area.

This time I'm stuck in the garage. If it will just be a little leakage that's fine, but if the whole tank drains that's another story.

What should I expect? Any tips - like does it matter if the gas cap is off?

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The fuel pump sits higher than the tank, so you should have no fuel spillage. I've never had fuel spilling out when I change a fuel pump.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    A little, just get a coffee can to catch it. I also like to use flare wrenches.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  4. Spellbound

Oct 5, 2013
    New Hampshire
    thanks - I'll be careful anyway of course - but I wont expect a flood like last time.

5. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Bremen, Ga
    No, no flood.

Take your fuel filler cap off, sit some rags and a can under the pump.

Take the lines off pump, remove pump.

A trick for holding the pump rod in place is to look at front corner of block, 2 holes, one over the other, top hole will have a bolt in it, bottom one may or may not..

Remove top bolt, it will be a very short bolt, do not loose it. Find a longer 3/8" dia bolt like an intake bolt or something.. This hole goes all the way through to the pump rod, by threading in/snugging up a long bolt, the bolt will rest on/pinch the rod and hold it in place for you..

Once pump is changed, just remove long bolt and put the short one back in.

6. Spellbound

Oct 5, 2013
    New Hampshire
    got it = thanks for the rapid responses. No problem removing everything - don't expect a problem getting it together tomorrow. thanks again!

7. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    I sometimes stick a like size bolt in the line and clamp it or not(depends)if the supply line is hanging down,to try to keep it neat.

8. Spellbound

Oct 5, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Yeah that's what I did when I couldn't stop the flow when trying to replace the mid-body rubber fuel line, but I still got covered pretty well trying get it plugged. Never want to do that again.

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I use grease to hold the rod up cause my AIR Pump is in use.