Fuel gauge

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by xten, Aug 16, 2017.

1. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    It recently has not been working. Used to be intermittent, but now it doesn't work at all. Way past full, at about 3:00 on the gauge, which would indicate ground, I think. Since I won't have much time in the near future, could someone please give me a starting point? If this is a common problem on these cars, which end should I start at? Gauge cluster or tank? Just need to be pointed in the right direction to start. I believe it's a 90 ohm sender, correct? Thanks guys.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Gauge going past full means an open circuit somewhere betweeen the gauge, the wire to the sender, through the sender, and to the sender ground. Any open in that circuit will give you this symptom.

Robert M Mrozek likes this.
  3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Yow, could be anything then. OK, thank you for the response Gary. Just thought it may be a common problem and easier to pinpoint.

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    You can narrow down the area where the problem is if you can get to the wire at the sender. If you remove the sender wire and touch it to ground, it will tell you which direction the problem is. When that wire is grounded, the gauge should to to empty or past. If that happens, the wire to the gauge and the gauge are good. Then, the problem is at the sender and its ground. If the gauge doesn't move from past full with the sender wire grounded, then the problem is in that wire going to the gauge or the gauge.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Thanks Gary. That's what I needed. A starting point. I'll disconnect the plug in the trunk and ground it. See what happens.