Front speaker tip?

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by PalmbchZ28, Jun 4, 2017.

1. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Putting a new stereo system in the 80 Z. After spending what felt like days under the dash yesterday trying to mount Kenwood dual speaker ....I gave up. At one point I started taking out entire dash, after removing the bezel and after seeing the rivets I knew I was screwed...You can get to 1 screw on the backside of the duct but not the other....So I was going to remove dash..But I started looking at the speaker and the ac duct and I don't believe..actually pretty sure.. it will not fit anyway !! It got late and I gave up. So I am now looking for an alternative locations. Looked at the kick panel option and someone even installed 6.5 in doors...But that requires modified door. I will replace or modify the dual setup and install 2 single speakers if I can find a decent location.

2. jbloake

jbloake Veteran Member

May 1, 2002
    Canada
    I have seen speaker holes in the side of the console Close to the front under stereo

3. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    don't forget to check the car audio section in the electronics section. There were recent tips on those front speakers.

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I had to get the A/C duct out of the way to get my front speaker installed.

It's been a number of years but I believe I cut slits in the duct to slide it off the rivets. (razor blade slits)
    I don't remember how I reattached it... I'm pretty sure I just slipped it back in place beneath the rivet heads.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
  6. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    Getting at the speaker is the hardest part, but the dual cone option ends up sounding great and it looks factory. I literally cut out the old speaker cone and used the existing bracket to install the new cone. Piece of cake, once you get AT the speaker.

7. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Man, ain't that the truth. The one I bought that was for the 2nd gen has the bracket already on it. Nothing to fabricate. Slides right in the factory slot, and one bolt on the dash brace. It STILL doesn't make it any easier to get to, maybe a little easier to install. I did mine when I installed the Vintage Air and had a clear path.

8. Detrailers

Detrailers Veteran Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Corinth TX
    My write up is probably on here...I did 6.5s in the doors and a year later they are still sounding great. It required a little trimming of the door and obviously cutting holes in the door panel. I had a hard time bringing my self to cut my 38 y/o original door panels but the fill sound they provide is worth it. Was going to add one of those speakers you are trying to install but after reading your post I'm thinking maybe not lol...

9. dailycruiser81

dailycruiser81 Veteran Member

May 19, 2013
    ft lauderdale
    There's a guy on this forum that sells replacement kick panels toa 6.5 at your feet

10. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    Well I didn't want to be a quitter so I decided I was going to get the AC duct out of my way and get that dang front speaker and installed today... after getting AC duct out of the way it became evident that the bracket did not fit correctly so few modifications everything's all good and it sounds so much better having the speakers located where they should be. Getting the AC duct out was the hardest part I believe Terry said that you could cut the plastic and get it off the rivets and that's what I done not easy but doable if you have the right attitude adjustment☺️ thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017