Front Seat Belt Conversion

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Desertfox63, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Desertfox63

Desertfox63 New Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Ontario
    Hello everyone,

I am currently restoring my 1972 Camaro Z28 and would like some feedback on front bucket seat seatbelts. My old belts were a mess and the separate two piece unit. I would like to upgrade to a nice looking 3 point assembly. I have looked at a few such as Classic Industries, Retrobelt, and Morris and they vary in price and likely quality. Does anyone have any great advice, or have purchased and been happy with a 3 point harness. The GM or starburst logo would be fine with me.

2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    There are new sets on ebay around 429.00 different colors too. Might be good place to start. Better than old used stuff that may not lock properly.

3. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2002
    Jennings, OK
    Guess nobody else has any advise. I'm kind of interested myself.

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I got the Morris belts, they are okay, retractors are a little big and can rub against the door panel.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I also bought Morris. My car had S.F.I lap belts in it when I got it, and they were expired. Not that that bothered me, but I wanted a 3 point. Simple to put in, no fitment issues, but I have newer seats that have the loop at the top of the seat that the belt passes through, and the buckle is kind of a pita coming through there. If I don't put them through that loop, they look like crap and you have to reach behind you to get hold of the belt to strap in.

6. The Chucker

The Chucker Veteran Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Iowa
    Morris here as well in my '73. I really like them!

7. Jet

Jet Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chucker, 2-point or 3-point?

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Have you thought using a set from the 1978-81 Camaros snd or Firebirds,

9. Desertfox63

Desertfox63 New Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Ontario
    That is a good question on the newer models '78 to '81, and I don't know the answer. My guess would be that they are slightly different but would like to hear from anyone who has tried them.

10. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    Regardless of who sells them, they are all made by Morris. I bought mine directly from Morris and like them very much.