Front Fender Filler Panel(s)

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by realrsz, Jun 25, 2017.

  1. realrsz

    realrsz Member

    Nov 16, 2011
    Macomb, MI
    I have a '73 z that I've been restoring for some time now. The guy who had it before me did some half-ass work on it including a half-ass paint job. I removed the Fenders, Doors etc. a few years ago in prep to prime and paint. Long story short, now I'm re-assembling it and notice in the assembly manual there is a right hand and left hand "Filler Panel" that appears to be sandwiched between the front top and bottom Header panels. I'm shocked. When I was removing all those panels, I never came across these Filler Panels. That's not too surprising, given the fact that the previous owner put it together without half the bolts or spring nuts required and the few he had in there looked like he bought them at Home Depot. What I find shocking is the fact that I never noticed them missing while the car was put together. Mind you, they are a flat piece of metal but you'd think I would've noticed some sort of gap where they should've been. And now that I think of it, I don't recall seeing them on other Camaros at car shows, etc. Has this ever happened to any of you? I bought a pair anyway from NPD but just found the whole episode strange; like what other surprises will I encounter when I re-assemble this bad-boy?
  2. ggtsvnv

    ggtsvnv Veteran Member

    Jun 20, 2002
    Reno NV,

    Isn't it fun working on a 40 something year old car! Some of the stuff you find is something that really makes you wonder what someone was thinking. I once had 68 Camaro in the early 1980s that had a so so paint job on it. Thought it will be a quick easy sand, prime and paint with some minor body work. As I stated sanding I found steel wool and bondo along the edge of one quarter panel where it had rusted through. I was able to fix it easy enough but it is amazing what people do. Lol

    I could tell you about a 67 GTO and beer cans but I'll leave that one alone for now.
  3. danny42984

    danny42984 New Member

    May 5, 2017
    I think that Filler panel is just for the Ralley Sport header panel/fender. I've had several "round taillight" Camaro's and have only saw that on the Ralley Sports with the park lights next to the headlight instead of under the bumper.
  4. l16pilot

    l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Dec 13, 2004
    Hurlock, MD, USA
    The filler panels were used on both the non_RS and RS and they were the same for both.
  5. gensurg73LT

    gensurg73LT Member

    Jun 13, 2015
    Glen Rose, Texas
    I recently ran into this dilemma with my 73 LT having found an original oem 73 full bumper with the steel reinforcement required beginning in 73. The car had been partially restored with an oer bumper mounted on the two piece bumper brackets. The 73 full bumper with its reinforcement did not fit on the two piece brackets used from 70 to 72, and on all RS options through 73. The full 73 bumper required a heavier one piece bracket that bolts in three places on the radiator support. Bumper fits perfectly with its reinforcement. This bracket however does not use the filler panel. Filler panel goes only with the two piece brackets

Share This Page