front coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by JKC, Jan 10, 2017.

1. JKC

JKC Veteran Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Knoxville Tn
    78 Camaro with stock control arms can with a 454 in it. Is it worth the coilovers or just change the springs and shocks and drive it?

2. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta Canada
    I think coilovers are the way to go. I'm strongly considering them for my 70 Z car. The nice thing is you can adjust your ride height and if you buy adjustable shocks there's lots of variety there too.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Do you know what springs are in it now? What do you want to do with the car - street, strip, autocross? Unless you're into the higher levels of road racing, it's hard to justify the cost of a coil over system when you do it right. If it's just a street car, Moog has some very cost effective springs.

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    +1 found it easier to adjust the coil overs to get the car standing straight than it is to pull a spring and shim it if you find out you have a lean to the car when you put in the new springs.

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Somebody is selling a ridetech setup in the swap meet right now. Including the lower arms

6. Jason7504

Jason7504 Veteran Member

May 4, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    I would also agree on coilovers especially if you plan to do any spirited driving, autox or track days. If it's just a street car and don't mind spending the extra, then it would give you quick ride height changes for proper stance.

I just swapped from 600# front springs to 700# Viking coilovers on front but haven't driven the car with them yet

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. 70ZED

70ZED Veteran Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta Canada
    Who is it , I am real interested !!

8. UMI Sales

UMI Sales New Member NazstyZ28 Sponsor

Jan 10, 2017
    Philipsburg, Pa.
    Like mentioned above the biggest advantage to coil-overs is the ability to adjust the ride height to where you want it. You also have the choice between a few different spring rates to match your application. The price difference between most coil-overs - vs - some quality shocks and springs is usually under $150. With most coil-over kits you get a high quality shock included with the kit that has the proper valving to handle the upgraded spring rates.

We offer the Double adjustable viking front coil-overs with bearing mount shocks for $518
    http://umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=340_341&products_id=887

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    UMI Performance and 70ZED like this.
  9. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    If you use the factor lower control arms.....beef up the area where the shock bolts in. Those little 5/16 bolts and the j-clips are a sketchy way to support the entire front of your car.<--IMHO

I'm running the Viking double adjustable smooth body shocks and I love them....regardless of which style shock you use, you will like the Vikings.

70ZED likes this.
  10. Bad79

Bad79 Member

Jan 4, 2009
    sc
    With this setup on my 2nd Gen TA, I can adjust with the coil over itself or use 1/2 socket and adjust the height from the top very quickly. image.jpeg