Front coil springs

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by tbrostrom, Jan 18, 2019.

1. tbrostrom

tbrostrom Member

Trying to find the correct front coil springs for my car is making me dizzy so I'm going to ask...Looking for front coil springs that will get me the closest to stock height for a 79 Z28. I know the weight on my front has changed...stock 350 has been replaced, engine is most certainly lighter, and A/C has been removed. Rear leaf springs have been replaced with new original leaf springs and I did replace fronts but they are too high. Suggestions please??

2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Hotchkis front coils with a 3/8 spacer got me back to stock height. And they actually do very well with my factory F41 five leafs in the rear. the factory coils were actually way too soft for my liking, but I still wanted stock ride height.

yours may sit even a little higher since you probably have less stuff in the engine compartment than I do.

any rate, whatever you decide, recommend going to Summit. if you dont get the advertised results , the return policy is very painless.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  3. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

PTFB 1LE coils

4. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

0255B9C4-F9FC-4749-8FD4-FA0E6876C749.jpeg DD20F066-6B31-4D5C-AB99-F9F19F1E85DD.jpeg Don’t those cars sit a little higher st the front from the factory ?

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

stock they have a slight tail DOWN attitude... :(

6. Popper

Popper Member

If you have new front coils why not trim the coils. Its entirely a pain to do with the R&R but its a cheap fix. You will increase the spring rate a bit, there are calcs on the web for this. I went round and round when replacing mine last year and my homework paid off as i have the exact ride height i was after. With that said it would have been a lot easier to just get adjustable coil shocks. Note that there are a ton of mixed reviews on adj coil shocks out there.

7. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

One thing I noticed is that since the rear wheels are "tucked in" more than the fronts on a factory car, the car does look nose high when looking at since your eyeballs are typically higher. I jockeyed spacers and shackles to get a slight nose down when measuring the heights of the well lips but it still looks tail low when I walk into the garage.