[FREE] Software Thread

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Aceshigh, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I have imaging software here, but I don't use it. I run multiple computers networked together so all my important files are stored on multiple computers. If any computer dies, I don't care. I just replace it.
    I don't use Windows so I don't have problems with Windows updates, spyware, viruses, or any of the other Microsoft problems.
    I can easily load up a new computer with the OS and software in an hour or less even if the old one went up in smoke, so imaging isn't for me.
    With Linux, a new operating system reload also reloads all my software, so as fast as I can run the OS disk through it, it is ready to go again. If it was a Windows system, all you get with the Windows disk is the OS. Then you start over reloading your software.

2. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Northern VA
    This looks like the same type of software as Handbrake, with perhaps a few more output options. Basically, a video format converter.

Free is free, though, I'll download and try it.:)

3. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 18, 2003
    BC, Canada
    Adblock for FireFox.

4. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Jan 17, 2005
    Wa State
    I still have some work to do on my Win 7 setup(adding the rest of my software), but currently I'm at close to 30 gigs on my OS drive. I can restore that in under three minutes with True image. I like windows.

5. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    Negative.....don't think it will do that though.

You need a HDMI input port on your PC for starters, and I don't have one.
    Black Magic has that one expansion input HDMI card for $200......I just don't
    have the $200 for that......I still haven't upgraded my video card in 2 years. :screwup:

My PC has been low on the totem pole lately.

What version are you talking about ???
    I've installed a few , Ubuntu, Mandriva 2006, Fedora, etc and I'm guessing you don't use much if that's the case.

Hell, I don't think Open Office comes standard at all on any either.
    Hell I finally got a triple boot functioning properly with WinXP 32bit, WinVista 64bit, and Ubuntu's latest.
    I'm NEVER in Ubuntu unless I forget to hit move the cursor on boot up. I still haven't been able to edit the GRUB. :mad:
    Everytime I follow the instructions , I get an empty file opened to edit the boot sequence.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  6. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    I like paint.net for editing photos. It is much like photoshop but is free. Free updates also.

7. Aceshigh

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    Uniblue Driver Scanner 32bit FREEWARE
    I haven't tried it yet, but if you reload your OS and have a missing mother board drivers disc or daughter boards drivers missing, this will discover them for you.
    [​IMG]
    They have a 64bit I'm trying to find out if it works right now.

8. Aceshigh

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    Device Doctor

This works on any 32 or 64 bit system and it's freeware.
    I just ran it and it works AWESOME and extremely quickly.,
    Gives you a 3 second scan, and links to any missing drivers. 5 stars WOOT

[​IMG]

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I loaded another Fedora computer last weekend. I just selected "workstation" during setup and it loaded Open Office for me and had it running minutes later along with the rest of the system.

10. Aceshigh

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    Actually I can't comment on Fedora.....I don't use it enough, and I know you do.

From what I've HEARD from my professors though, it's more of a stable workstation/server environment then a multimedia OS.