found an all original 73 Z28 type lt

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by starr73z28, Mar 5, 2012.

1. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    that guy ( Wayne carrini , F40 motor sports ) restores Ferraris what the hell would he want with that wreck ?

2. axlefoley

axlefoley Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2011
    gilbertsville pa.
    sorry bro couldn't think of the shows on velocity tv. but their are a few
    wrecks to riches would have been a lot better example than chasing classic cars. ( not sure if wrecks to riches are on any more ) they also have overhauling and wheeler dealer plus their are a few more on other networks. so my point is still the same would these guys above take on a project like the 73 z... ??
    axle

3. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Mantweeka, California

True, Sadly I parted out a 73 LT And mad over $2300.

4. Kermit Compeau

Kermit Compeau Member

Jun 28, 2008
    ASHLAND, OREGON
    Buy it. Think about what you'll do with it later. Tell the wife its a great investment. You can part or fix it, but don't let it sit there and get more rotten. That'd be a crime.

5. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    As far as the 73 having poor performance,I believe there was a test done back when these cars were new,and the 73 ran within a tenth or two of the 70 in the 1/4(both cars ran 14's) and handled about the same in all other respects. The 73 is a lot nicer car to drive,and was available with A/C. Of course nobody give the 73 any kind of respect regardless of how good it ran. The 74 Z also ran about the same only loosing a bit because of the added weight of the new bumpers. After that the performance just fell off a cliff,like 150hp 350's and such.

Find a clean base model built in the same time frame,and maybe the same colors,and swap everything including most of the firewall. That is what they call in the business a "rebody"

If you like to do the work yourself,that could be good car to restore,but it would still be closer to a labor of love then an investment. You can blow 20K easily doing a decent resto on an already complete car in your garage.

6. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    If its any inpiration,I know of a member here that I delivers some parts to recently that has a same color 73 that is probably as bad or worse then that. He has been dragging it around the country with him for years as he moved,and has every plan on restoring it. He is a body man by trade though,so that kinda helps,but I dont think the car is numbers matching which hinda hurts.

If you can get this car for in the neighborhood of 1K and dont want it,let me know,I can probably find it a home.

7. starr73z28

starr73z28 Member

Nov 6, 2010
    mount union Pa
    ive stopped by the car 3 times now and talked to the owner while he was there doing yard work. he still hasnt come to a decision if he is going to sell it or let it continue to rust to nothing..... ive upped my offer to 1300.

8. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

this is killing me...:screwup:

I assume you have heard the old fart joke about how to keep a turkey in suspense....

if not, I'll tell ya tomorrow.;)

a trick that always works for me is to just show up unannounced and wave a pile of $100's under the person's nose... under wifey's nose is even better.

be resoloute and walk away when they scoff, then wait for the call:innocent:

good luck:crazy:

9. starr73z28

starr73z28 Member

Nov 6, 2010
    mount union Pa
    I pulled the money out of my pocket.....in 20s ....nice wad of cash. His eyes lit up but nothing yet. At least he knows im serious. Ive tried almost every trick i know. Ill just keep stopping till he tells me to stay off his property .....

10. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 16, 2007
    ( . Y . )Delco
    I would say at this point,youre just badgering him,lol.Its still his car.If you piss him off too much,he might just intentionally find someone else,or just continue to let it rot.
    I had to let the one go across the street I first started to pursue before I got the one I have now.Sucks in the begining,but you get over it.Good luck with it.