found an all original 73 Z28 type lt

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by starr73z28, Mar 5, 2012.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    If it's too far gone you can make a good buck selling it in parts.

2. axlefoley

axlefoley Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2011
    gilbertsville pa.
    i am new to this so by no means i am an expert. but 20 years ago this was common. if history has taught us investing in a highly sought after
    muscle car has been much greater than anything stocks and bonds have returned over the same period. ( in my opinion )

their was 11,574 z28's produced in 1973 and you have to ask yourself how many of those cars survived with their original drivetrains ?
    then ask how many of these cars survived with under 45,000 miles
    i was surprise at how much money it cost for the z28 package in 1973
    $598.00 then if the car has ac that cost was 397.00 in 73 ( see below )

i just think as a camaro lover it would be a sin to part this car out.
    maybe in the next 20 years a fully restored z28 could bring more money than the current restoration cost.
    axle
    http://collectorcarmarket.com/menus/ccmprcs/73chca28.html

it sounds like most of the posters are against a full restoration on this car. but i would still think if the mileage could be documented and the drive train is original to the car. than history would support my argument
    what was this car in question worth in 1989 ( assuming good shape )
    maybe $2500.00 what would a fully restored 73 z be worth in today's market. ( see above ) with a round about value of $40,000.00 that is a
    800% return on your investment. wont get that return in the stock market.

3. starr73z28

starr73z28 Member

Nov 6, 2010
    mount union Pa
    lets not forget the 30,000 to get it back to original enough condition to be worth 40,000 and the countless hours of work . not that im against restoring it but.......

4. starr73z28

starr73z28 Member

Nov 6, 2010
    mount union Pa
    if i do decide its to far gone to restore ill pull the drivetrain out and put it in my 73 z i currently am working on. i know it wont be vin matching , but thats the closest i will ever get to numbers matching. at least it would have the correct ( close enough for me) dated parts and stampings. this car in question was built 2 months later than mine. going to give him a call today and see what the story is

5. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    Yep , if you have to pay a quality shop that know what they are doing and want it right, it will cost all of that to return that car to top flite status . NOS parts and labor are mega bucks. It would be a awesome car though.

Needs to be stored a little better. Camaros don't do good outdoors.

6. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

if you decide you want the drivetrain and not the shell and get it for under 1k let me know..
    I won't do a concourse resto on it.. but I will keep it alive:innocent:

yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment..lol:screwup:

7. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Emerald Isle , NC
    Been looking for one of those myself. :crazy:

8. axlefoley

axlefoley Veteran Member

Sep 6, 2011
    gilbertsville pa.
    again i am no expert i guess i watch to much reality tv, these kinds of resto's are on all the time. barn finds etc. i guess the only thing that matters is if the 73 z in question is as collectable enough for a show like chasing classic cars.
    axle

9. Alki73

Alki73 Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Seattle WA

If you believe that I have a bridge I'll sell you cheap. They introduced the hydraulic cam in 73 and put in a low rpm steel intake manifold and Quadra puke.

10. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    really , because i actually own a 73 i know what it was , and thats what the HP rating was , 245 . rear wheel HP , lets take away 25 percent off both motors , as the drive trains are the same . still a 10 hp difference . in 72 with the solid lifter cam , aluminum manifold , holly carb , Z28 motor was rated at 255 . and no i don't need a bridge .