? For those using DSE front subframe for LS

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Goat, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    So I got my LS lowered into the engine bay, but am having a real hard time lining up the motor mounts because the MSD intake is riding the firewall.

The picture below is with the motor mounts needing to go down about an inch and towards the rear about a 1/4", but the intake is hitting against the firewall. It acts like I need to raise the tranny a little but it is already hitting the tunnel...

Can someone (Rob maybe?) give me some measurements of the installed engine? Like maybe clearance between intake and firewall and any measurement in the front...or the distance between the front of the oil pan and the subframe?

It just looks too close to the firewall to me. I thought maybe I had the adapter plates mounted backwards, but the instructions say "slanted side to front", which is what I have.

Thanks.

engine bay1.JPG

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Do you have a picture of the firewall side?

3. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    So today I was able to install the long horizontal bolt through the engine mount and frame mount. I had to remove the engine mount to have enough room to lower the engine to the right place. Now, I'm fighting with the other 6 bolts that attach the mount to the block. What a pain. I knew this would happen if I removed the mount from the block, but it the only way I saw to be able to lower the engine any further.

I took a picture of the firewall side, but when I came in the house to look at it, the lighting was not good and didn't really show the gap. But there is less than 1/2" gap between the firewall and the nearest edge of the MSD...I wish DSE would have not moved everything back an inch. I can't imagine that move making any real world difference in handling...

4. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
  5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    There is a method to their madness, it's amazing what little movements do to the balance of a chassis, every 1/4 inch counts, the scales don't lie.
    I would "massage" the firewall before moving the engine ahead. JMO.

6. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Of course, it's known that moving the engine back is better for overall handling of the car. You can modify the Firewall...the brackets are the easiest and I would argue that 1/4 will make no noticeable difference.

7. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Wake Forest NC
    Do you have any idea what your engine angle is? What trans are you using? You stated in your original post that it appeared that the trans needed to be raised that's why I'm asking. I know we had to modify the tunnel for the T-56 magnum, we also pocketed my firewall because I wanted some space behind the intake and to make it easier to get the belhousing bolts out. You can look at the pics on DSE'e site for what was done to the tunnel and firewall to give you an idea.

8. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Thanks. Have not addressed the driveline angles yet - still fighting with the engine mount bolts. The tunnel is somewhat modified already from when I had the Richmond 6 speed in there. I am currently using the Magnum. Is there a project name referenced on the DSE site I should look for?

Never mind. I found your project folder. Nice work. I thought I had spent enough $ with DSE to own a few shares of their stock, but I believe you got one up on me there!

Yeah, I like the way you did the air intake and the firewall, but it's a little too late for me to do something like that. I will probably do something similar for the air intake though.

Are you running a vacuum pump? Did not see one...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  9. badazz81z28

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I only had to massage the front of the tunnel and cut a hole for the shifter for the magnum to fit in my car. All the work done to Tims car is no comparison. DSE did a lot of metal work and you can see by the pictures. Of course you will have no issue with that much clearance made.

10. Goat

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Got the passenger side mount bolted in today and managed to get the transmission up on the cross member so I could move the car around. With the trans where it is, it looks to be at a reasonable angle - have not measured yet, but firewall clearance is about 1/2" at the closest point. It gets better as the MSD is contoured quite a bit in the back. This is something I can live with if the angles are close.

The drivers side mount is being a female dog. I have never had an install this tough. Everything is so tight - engine has very little wiggle room. Must be getting old. And my helper is tough and means well, but she is no gearhead...

Tim: I think we have the same C&R radiator? I think I bought mine at your suggestion. It has dual Spal fans rated at 36 amps. Do you know what capacity the relay is that your using? The relays with the GM harness are 25 amps.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017