Footbraking a .400 LED Pro Tree

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by Blown Camaro, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro American by birth, drag racer by choice

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    I KNOW I left on time, yet had a .286 reaction. Flashed the converter from 2500-4200 I am sure that wasted some time LOL. Buddy left on the transbrake and did an .086. I even heard my motor before I heard his! Help me wrap my head around this as it was my first time on a .400 tree. I am pretty sure it is hopeless with my street car.

2. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    I ran a .400 pro tree for a while....... I HAD to go in deep to get into the ..020 -.030's...... It'll slow your 60' and your ET

Blown Camaro likes this.
  3. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Practice. I ran a pro tree bracket race since my regular points race was postponed to the following week. In a slow POS 13 second Skylark I was able to cut an .050 light by the 3rd pass without going deep. Wound up winning the event with I think an .035 light, but I ran my number with a zero. I gotta find that article and post it. Runner up was pissed lol

Blown Camaro likes this.
  4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Unless you are Scotty Richardson, I would believe the ticket, before I believe your feel.

I have several cars, and MANY MANY combinations over the years from a 6 second Pro-Mod to a 17 second old beater.
    There are 2 numbers in your reaction time, you & the car.
    My Pro-Mod is under .200 reaction, my beater was ~.500.
    Then you add in you, and I can red light a pro-tree in the Pro-Mod, and never in a million years in the beater!!!!

The best thing I ever did was buy a practice tree, and trained my eye to ignore my brain.
    After ~4000 plus passes in the last 35 years, I also have a feel for my reaction time, but I'm wrong often.
    A slight bobble in the drive train you miss, and the R/T is not even close to what you thought it felt like.

I know exactly when I choked, because I can feel my stupid brain get in the way!!!
    When my eye & thumb talk directly, with no interference from my brain, I'm all over a P/T or my delay box number!!!!

Even a fast car can have a lot of wasted motion. I run long wheelie bars, something like 9' long.
    They keep the car from flipping, but there's also some flex there wasting time, instead of an immediate launch like a P/S.
    I've been having a wheel speed issue, which is wasting time because it doesn't get up on the tire as quick as I would like.
    You start adding up all these little .001 & .01, and you car reaction is not as good as the next guy, who might be slower than you!!!
    My car works pretty good, 1.05 60' is common.
    I have friends with quicker cars that only 60' 1.10-1.14 and catch me with HP & MPH.

Keep having fun, turn off your brain, you only need your eyes, and as always, race safe!!!!!!!

Blown Camaro likes this.