Footbraking a .400 LED Pro Tree

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by Blown Camaro, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro Veteran Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Deltona, FL
    I KNOW I left on time, yet had a .286 reaction. Flashed the converter from 2500-4200 I am sure that wasted some time LOL. Buddy left on the transbrake and did an .086. I even heard my motor before I heard his! Help me wrap my head around this as it was my first time on a .400 tree. I am pretty sure it is hopeless with my street car.

2. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    I ran a .400 pro tree for a while....... I HAD to go in deep to get into the ..020 -.030's...... It'll slow your 60' and your ET

Blown Camaro likes this.
  3. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Practice. I ran a pro tree bracket race since my regular points race was postponed to the following week. In a slow POS 13 second Skylark I was able to cut an .050 light by the 3rd pass without going deep. Wound up winning the event with I think an .035 light, but I ran my number with a zero. I gotta find that article and post it. Runner up was pissed lol

Blown Camaro likes this.
  4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Unless you are Scotty Richardson, I would believe the ticket, before I believe your feel.

I have several cars, and MANY MANY combinations over the years from a 6 second Pro-Mod to a 17 second old beater.
    There are 2 numbers in your reaction time, you & the car.
    My Pro-Mod is under .200 reaction, my beater was ~.500.
    Then you add in you, and I can red light a pro-tree in the Pro-Mod, and never in a million years in the beater!!!!

The best thing I ever did was buy a practice tree, and trained my eye to ignore my brain.
    After ~4000 plus passes in the last 35 years, I also have a feel for my reaction time, but I'm wrong often.
    A slight bobble in the drive train you miss, and the R/T is not even close to what you thought it felt like.

I know exactly when I choked, because I can feel my stupid brain get in the way!!!
    When my eye & thumb talk directly, with no interference from my brain, I'm all over a P/T or my delay box number!!!!

Even a fast car can have a lot of wasted motion. I run long wheelie bars, something like 9' long.
    They keep the car from flipping, but there's also some flex there wasting time, instead of an immediate launch like a P/S.
    I've been having a wheel speed issue, which is wasting time because it doesn't get up on the tire as quick as I would like.
    You start adding up all these little .001 & .01, and you car reaction is not as good as the next guy, who might be slower than you!!!
    My car works pretty good, 1.05 60' is common.
    I have friends with quicker cars that only 60' 1.10-1.14 and catch me with HP & MPH.

Keep having fun, turn off your brain, you only need your eyes, and as always, race safe!!!!!!!

Blown Camaro likes this.