Flywheel to compressed

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by JeremyD99, Feb 20, 2018.

Is my torque converter to big is that why the flywheel won’t spin and the started grinds

Poll closed Feb 23, 2018.
  1. .

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. .

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JeremyD99

JeremyD99 New Member

Feb 20, 2018
    I just bought a 04 Silverado 1500 and the tranny was blew up in it. I went and had it rebuilt to a stage 1 performance tranny and I got a stock torque converter for it. It has the 4.8 in it but when I bought it the guy told me it was the 5.3, so I bought a converter for the 5.3 but then realized it was a 4.8. So I took it back and got the right one but when I put it in the tranny and get it up and ready to mount it won’t go in cause it’s to big. So I go back and get the one for the 5.3 which is smaller and it fits in and I’m able to get it up on the motor and get the brace back under it and all that good stuff, I thought I was home bound lol but then I go to move the fly wheel to tighten the converter bolts more and it won’t move at all so I loosen everything up and I’m then able to move it so I tighten the bolts on the converter and then tighten everything else back up but I figured something was wrong with it not moving at all so I throw the starter back on the see if it makes any weird noises and if it’ll work when I crank it and the starter starts making his loud grinding noise and smells like it’s burning when I crank the truck up. I don’t know if I need to adjust the starter or if it’s cause the torque converter sapossibly isn’t the right one or what but I sure could use some help.

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Are your flexplate bolts making contact with the block around the rear seal?

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    Did you put in the torque converter?
    I have worked on 4L60e’s which is what you have but haven’t installed one. I’m thinking that it’s the same way you install a 700r4 by spinning & pushing in on the TQ until it clunks/clicks into place. If you didn’t do that, that might be your problem. Plus the flywheel teeth & starter won’t line up.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    I personally don’t see how the wrong torque converter would cause the starter to grind. The wrong flywheel would....where you went wrong was forcing it together. With the torque converter seated and the bellhousing bolted to the engine. There should be enough clearance that the converter and flywheel can rotate away from each other.

The new parts are your suspect. If the engine and transmission are the same. If you didn’t swap out the flywheel, the problem is the converter. Either it’s the wrong one or it’s not seated properly.

BTW, wouldn’t the converters physical dimensions be the same regardless if your engine displacement? Isnt the 4.8 and 5.3 both Gen IIIs? The converter size should be the same....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Manual Transmission = Flywheel
    Automatic transmission = Flex plate

Seeing confusion in terminology by the OP, I suspect he may have attempted to use flywheel bolts on a flex plate.
    The threads are the same but, if flywheel bolts were used... They are too long for use with a flex plate and may contact the block.

That would explain why the engine wouldn't rotate to get the torque converter bolts in place AND the reason the starter won't move the engine.

6. JeremyD99

JeremyD99 New Member

Feb 20, 2018
    I used the same bolts that were on the flex plate when I took the old converter off for the new one, I’ve checked and looked and there is a good half inch or so clearance from the bolts to the engine

7. JeremyD99

JeremyD99 New Member

Feb 20, 2018
    I thought the same thing but oriellys said the 5.3 was a gm92 model while the 4.8 was a gm90 model, do I need to try and pull them apart while it’s still mounted in the truck or take it back out and try again

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    What type of transmission is it? I’ll guess 4l60E? Do you have the old converter?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  9. JeremyD99

JeremyD99 New Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Yeah it’s the 4l60e and no I had to give it in as a core charge