Flywheel bolts

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by greencamaro1981, Nov 2, 2017.

1. greencamaro1981

greencamaro1981 Veteran Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Montana
    i have been looking over flywheel bolt kits for using the NFW1050 flywheel on my 5.3 these are one of the most common ones listed
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa...MI-fLo9p2f1wIVk2V-Ch2YTAutEAQYASABEgKhmPD_BwE

or the gm factory ones
    https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Flywheel-Bolt-Number-11569956/dp/B00TO6ETNU

what i am asking is in my engine the bolts that came off the flexplate match all measurements, and appear to be the same, with new locktite they will work as good as new. or am i missing something?

2. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    The original bolts, and original style replacement bolts, are powdered metal and tend to stretch. For a low power build under 350hp you can reuse them, personally I use ARP 330-2802 bolts just for peace of mind.

3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

That is what I use for all my engine fasteners is ARP.

4. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    " tend to stretch"

All bolts stretch...

5. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Yes, but I was leaving it at a simple explanation. This thought can be expanded to... After the initial use of this fastener, the elasticity of the metal is pushed beyond a threshold wherein an attempt to reuse the aforementioned fastener can result in the failure of the fastener. While other bolts made of different materials are designed to stretch at different rates, the particular bolts in question will not maintain enough tension after initial use to properly retain the flexplate to the crankshaft flange. Given that these bolts are subject to both a torsional load as well as subject to a fore/aft load from the torque converter, it is highly recommended that the fasteners in question be replaced in order to maintain integrity within design standards. Is that better? :) And yes, I use a rod bolt stretch gauge during assembly.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Factory or factory replacements are fine for moderate builds. The 400-500hp factory builds are using them just fine. They are still 10.9 fasteners. I would use ARP if it's a performance build. Makes no sense to me to use high end parts and use factory bolts

7. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    Yes, much better.

Your original statement might leave some of lesser knowledge to think that only some bolts "stretch". Some people are highly influenced by stuff they read on the internet. I was just pointing out the vagueness of your statement.

Sometimes "a simple explanation " is not enough.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Wow...from one end to a complete 180 on the explanation.

A bolt is like a rubber band. It stretches to create the clamp load as you tighten it. Stretch it to it's limits and it doesn't spring back to the original size. Stretch it beyond that and it breaks. TTY bolts are tightened to a clamp load they don't return to the original size hence not re-useable as if you follow the procedures on the bolt tightening it will break it be darn within the hair of failing.