flushing heater core

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by ssupercoolss, Nov 16, 2017.

1. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    I have very little heat in my Camaro, and i know that the heater core is partially plugged. Any other suggestions, other than disconnecting the hoses and running a garden hose in the opposite direction? I did this once with my 95 Impala, and was pretty surprised as to what came out when i did it. I am a little nervous about putting a little too much pressure to it.

I dont drive it tons when it gets cold out, but i would if i had decent heat. I took it to the mountains last weekend, at that was a huge mistake....lol. I didnt think it would be that bad, but it was.

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I use a flushing T and house garden hose pressure. You'll be fine as long you don't use a pressure washer.

3. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    I tried the following once and had excellent results.

Disconnect the hoses, blow out whatever water you can, install short lengths on each and point them up. Then pour radiator flush straight into one hose until it comes out the other. Let it sit for a few hours and rinse both directions with a garden hose.

4. EZFrank

EZFrank Veteran Member

May 5, 2005
    Buffalo NY
    I use CLR pour it into the heater core let sit for awhile come back with air hose blow in heater core few time repeat it few times then I take garden hose flush the heater core out I done few cars like that saved my customers lots of money on there vehicles not having to change heater core out

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I use a radiator flush, along with the "T" system COPO mentioned. You can get them at most auto parts store. This has worked well for me.

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Use the radiator Flushing kit that you can get at most any parts store.

7. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    If it is approaching plugged status, it will probably start leaking in the future. I had changed mine out two times in its on-road life. I just assumed it was bad coolant or something.

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    I would try flushing it before replacing it.Because it can be a real "joy' doing so.

9. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    I've done a bunch of heater core flushes by disconnecting both ends from where the hoses run to (not off the heater core itself as pulling on them can easily damage it) and flushing them with a hose. The really bad ones, I've used both clr cut 50/50 with water and straight TSP. The gunk usually blows out quickly but use less then full hose pressure initially.

If your heater core is that plugged up, you might consider flushing the block and radiator. Chances are, you have rust/crap thought out the system.

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Remeber to drain the block.